2017 Linux Laptop Survey Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

A lot of it is just people getting tired of virtual machine hassles during software development. But they still use MacOS as dual boot, especially for applications that don't exist on Linux like Microsoft Word or Photoshop.

At least two developers where I work have done this.
    Which "virtual machine hassles"? I put all other systems (including macOS) in Virtual Box images and ssh into them whenever I need to build something. Far less hassle than dual boot imho.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Which "virtual machine hassles"? I put all other systems (including macOS) in Virtual Box images and ssh into them whenever I need to build something. Far less hassle than dual boot imho.
      I am not certain since I run a Dell m3800 with Fedora and not a Mac but SSH is one of the hassles. The other one I heard about recently was having to delete a bunch of files and resize the VM image because Docker inside the VM kept pulling more and bigger images. There's also problems with nested virtual machines, like if an integration test launches a VM as part of the test, inside your Virtualbox ... that doesn't always work.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

I am not certain since I run a Dell m3800 with Fedora and not a Mac but SSH is one of the hassles. The other one I heard about recently was having to delete a bunch of files and resize the VM image because Docker inside the VM kept pulling more and bigger images. There's also problems with nested virtual machines, like if an integration test launches a VM as part of the test, inside your Virtualbox ... that doesn't always work.
        Well I'm not on a Mac either (I just have one running in Virtual Box thinking that he runs on Apple HW [oh the little fool]). Ok, I don't use containers so that is perhaps why I don't have see the problems your colleagues does. SSH is easy to setup, all you have to to is add a port forwarding under Network Settings in Virtual Box and add something like "TCP 127.0.0.1 2222 - 22" then on your host you create a ~/.ssh/config where you add each guest like:
        Code:
        Host freebsd
            Hostname 127.0.0.1
            Port 2222
            User root

Host macos
            Hostname 127.0.0.1
            Port 2223
            User f.ultra
        And then you can "ssh freebsd" or "scp fff macos:". First scp should be "scp .ssh/id_rsa.pub freebsd:.ssh/authorized_keys" so you can logon with keys and skip the password completely.
        Last edited by F.Ultra; 07-09-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nimroot View Post
          I can't believe nobody uses Dells or Arch Linux.
          Dell has the best compatibility of Linux, and Archlinux is the best distro.
          Dell+Arch is simply the best of best.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
            You have two entries for Clevo, one with a capital letter and another without , clevo.
            Not only that. System76, Tuxedo, Clevo and clevo should be anyway 1 category as those 2 first are only reselling Clevo laptops (my last two Clevos were from one.de and mysn.de) - should be called "Clevo (tuxedo, system76, ...)". Anyway I expected a bit more Clevos as they are "performace" and really nicely serviceable (easy open and then clean the fans).

Comment

Quite a few Clevo's looked a lot like some MSI notebooks specialy the GT600 series some years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DRanged View Post
                Quite a few Clevo's looked a lot like some MSI notebooks specialy the GT600 series some years ago.
                It's the other way around.
                Clevo manufactures laptops for Dell, HP and many other big companies too, btw. It's a pretty damn large OEM that sells to other companies that then sell under their brand.

Comment

Working...
                X