No announcement yet.

It's Been Five Years Since That Interesting Message From Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 years back, Linux gaming was very limited compared to today, even wine was not something majority of users could use, free drivers were good enough for 2D, and in some cases, not even fro that, and..., i used Windows. Now, picture is uncomparable, all things above got wastly better.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

What hopes do you have for SteamOS over the next year or five?
      -Nothing. I think it is waste of resources. With Debian testing Xfce you have better system for gaming and general computer use.
      I love the way you make us laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        What hopes do you have for SteamOS over the next year or five?
        -Nothing. I think it is waste of resources. With Debian testing Xfce you have better system for gaming and general computer use.
        I love the way you ever make us laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
          5 years back […] free drivers were good enough for 2D, and in some cases, not even fro that[…]
          Untrue. Here's a 4-years old post by Dolphin devs, Mesa drivers were among the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
            Untrue. Here's a 4-years old post by Dolphin devs, Mesa drivers were among the best.
            In terms of performance and support, they were not even close to what they are now. In link you posted, developers spoke about bugs, not performance, i guess they were good in terms of OpenGL support.

Comment

While Android is based on Linux, what we usually mean by "MS Office for Linux" is Linux desktop distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                While Android is based on Linux, what we usually mean by "MS Office for Linux" is Linux desktop distros.
                office360 in browser?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Alright, well now we established your statement is in fact subjective, so:
                  your, not mine
                  These are commits involving Nvidia authors.
                  next time try to check your evidence. those are commits to allow nvidia ship its windows blob on dual gpu systems.
                  2. Even if there were no results for Nvidia authors, it is known that Nvidia contributes toward the open-source Tegra drivers.
                  no, it doesn't. where is nvidia's tegra shader compiler?
                  3. Suppose Nvidia didn't have anything to do with Mesa or nouveau at all - that still doesn't mean they have no Linux attention. They do have Linux-specific efforts (primarily in their closed-source drivers) which I have linked to in my last post.
                  here is what they get for their efforts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw
                  even microsoft does more linux development than nvidia
                  Last edited by pal666; 31 March 2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    your, not mine
                    Do you know what subjective means? So far, I'm the only one who has brought facts to the table. You have made baseless claims that are clearly revolved around your opinion.
                    next time try to check your evidence. those are commits to allow nvidia ship its windows blob on dual gpu systems.
                    You sure are grasping at straws here if you need to be cherry-picking results. Most of the commits there had nothing to do with Windows or dual-GPU systems. I gave you the benefit of the doubt by only showing results that were explicitly tied to Nvidia, even though there are likely more results from Nvidia employees who may not have used an nvidia.com domain.

Next time, don't use the first anecdote you pick as the basis to your argument.
                    no, it doesn't. where is nvidia's tegra shader compiler?
                    So what you're telling me is because Nvidia didn't create a shader compiler for Tegra, they do not contribute toward it, despite evidence as recent as this? That's utterly ridiculous. By that terrible logic, that's like saying "even though you got the ingredients, mixed them together, poured them into the pan, and preheated the oven, you had nothing to do with the bread that was made because you didn't put it in the oven".
                    here is what they get for their efforts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw
                    And yet you think I'm being subjective... Right...
                    Thanks for proving my point.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 31 March 2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      office360 in browser?
                      Close, but no cigar. Yes, it's basically Office, but no, it's not a desktop app. And we were talking about desktop apps, not browser apps. (if you really count in Office 365 in the browser, then you can say that MS Office is basically available for every OS that has a HTML5 browser)

Comment

Working...
                      X