It's Been Five Years Since That Interesting Message From Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Been Five Years Since That Interesting Message From Gabe Newell

Phoronix: It's Been Five Years Since That Interesting Message From Gabe Newell

For those wishing to relive a past fond moment for Linux gaming or weren't reading Phoronix five years ago, today marks five years since receiving an interesting message from GabeN...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL I remember that, I used to lurk. People were overanalyzing and refused to believe the simple fact that Gabe Newell sent an email to Michael looking to network with openGL developers.

Comment

Reading the comments of that article:
      "Too close to April 1. Tomorrow, Steam and the entire HL2 series will be released for Linux, along with Microsoft Office 2010. Oh and Catalyst will be released as open source and merged to Linux 3.4 mainline."
      Well... no sign of MS Office official port for Linux right now, but for the rest... eheheh

Comment

The dampfnudeln are a lie! Fake News!

Comment

I remember, I did not know what Steam is After observing the angered discussion I thought maybe it is something rather important

Comment

Did you?

Comment

Valves has done more to bring retail games to Linux than anybody before has, so they deserve that respect. I hope one day to finally retire the Windows OS partition on my only PC that still runs Windows for gaming. Next hardware buys will be with Linux in mind. No more SLI for me.

Comment

What else do you hope they'll do to improve the Linux gaming ecosystem?
                Reduce the need for afterthoughts-ports, and, but probably never happening, switch to a model where the engines are FOSS and only the assets are proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Manage game developers to test games with Mesa git and rolling release OS. Stop only nvidia games.
                  Valve doesn't have a whole lot of control in that outside of it's own influence (which has been on the wane for a bit).
                  That said, it's really systemic of a bigger issue. That is that game developers don't note the many differences in linux (in general) and assume that if they do what they do in Windows it will be fine. It won't be and many have bucked up against that.

Comment

What's been your favorite Steam Linux game?
                    Dying Light and Dirt Rally, yes it's two games but both are great AAA games that look and run great on my Arch Linux install.

What hopes do you have for SteamOS over the next year or five?
                    That it continues to be targeted by developers and that progress continues. (pretty vague)

What else do you hope they'll do to improve the Linux gaming ecosystem?
                    Improve/maintain sound quality. Have no current complaints about my sound quality, but would like to know surround sound is working with games under SteamOS. Though that's probably more up to the distro to make sure the sound is setup correctly. Still don't have AC3 digital through spdif support on my Arch install, did get it to work on Ubuntu 16 though.

Comment

Working...
                    X