It's Been Five Years Since That Interesting Message From Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Steam Linux Game:
    I don't use Steam for my gaming (DRM-free zealot here) but, of the games which are offered on Steam, I've been returning to Stardew Valley, Risk of Rain, Defender's Quest, and Hexcells Infinite a lot lately.

SteamOS Hopes:
    That Valve won't trip over Valve Time so much that the cause of Linux game compatibility backslides more than it already has with the observed trickle-off in the Steam survey.

Improving Linux Gaming:
    Two things:

1. I hope they push their higher-level controller API (the one which maps actions rather than buttons) into SDL or a similarly open-source library so there can be enough critical mass to see good adoption despite Linux's epidemic of bikeshedding and "good enough for me".

2. I hope they re-tool the hardware survey so that:

a. It can properly acknowledge copies of Steam running in Wine or VM hosts.

b. It becomes possible for it to operate in a mode more like website analytics, where it samples everyone who's willing to give permission. None of this "I'm on Linux and proud of that, but I was never asked".

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      And we were talking about desktop apps, not browser apps.
      we are talking about desktops, whether browser is used is an implementation detail

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        we are talking about desktops, whether browser is used is an implementation detail
        No, in this case it's different.

Comment

Working...
        X