Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Else Would You Like To See On Phoronix This Spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next time you do a radeon vs Catalyst comparison, please include GPU usage for every benchmark. It'd be the first online resource showing clearly the pain points (where Catalyst manages to be GPU-limited but mesa is CPU-limited). With it one can easily direct attention to where needed.

I'd also like to see a test with the hotness kernel+mesa, but I'm not sure if that'd bring a lot of visitors. A single high-end card would be enough, like 6870, as it would complement my own low-to-mid-end testing. Even at full VRAM, confirming that there are no regressions on a high-end card would be helpful, and a few rounds with different limited VRAM amounts would be nice in addition.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      I want to see less Ubuntu. . .
      +1

I understand the argument that Ubuntu has the biggest share, but I doubt that market share is proportionate to the Phoronix readership market share. Apart from a few fanboy Ubuntards around these parts, I think most of us use distros that are more representative of the standard Linux stack and would like to see pretty much any distro other that Ubuntu (or its derivatives) used.

Comment

Less spam to Anzwix.
        Less spam to previous or related articles where every other word is a backlink.
        More citing of sources.

More diagrams, charts and rich media.
        More use of semantics such as <code>, <ul>, <acronym>, <kbd>, <cite>, <blockquote>, <pre>, etc.

Less non-news articles such as (X does still not support Y).
        More interesting articles with less boring mundane bread text.

Quality over quantity.

Comment

1. Comparison of AMD Catalyst 14.3 with the newer 14.4. Is it worth it to upgrade?

2. Comparison of AMD Catalyst 14.4 to Nvidia's Latest Linux Drivers (Propietary of course)

3. The state of AMD APUs (Including Richland if possible) and comparison of them with Intel's Integrated IRIS graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            The next time you do a radeon vs Catalyst comparison, please include GPU usage for every benchmark. It'd be the first online resource showing clearly the pain points (where Catalyst manages to be GPU-limited but mesa is CPU-limited). With it one can easily direct attention to where needed.

I'd also like to see a test with the hotness kernel+mesa, but I'm not sure if that'd bring a lot of visitors. A single high-end card would be enough, like 6870, as it would complement my own low-to-mid-end testing. Even at full VRAM, confirming that there are no regressions on a high-end card would be helpful, and a few rounds with different limited VRAM amounts would be nice in addition.
            Yes this would be great to see and if it provides useful feedback then that's even better. Its this kind of stuff that gets people signing up to subscriptions, last time you went searching the kernel for what caused an unknown performance improvement in the radeon drivers http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...formance&num=1 it cause a bunch of people to subscribe to premium (including myself). This is what people want, something that helps give back to and improve projects in one way or another.

Comment

What I'd like to see:

Continue with Wayland cover.
              Lxqt, Enlightenment and more not so popular DE and WM.
              More technical articles about some parts of Linux, not just news on how many FPS we get when we run OpenArena.

What I dont wanna see:

So much Ubuntu-related shit.

Comment

The benchmark I'd like to see is how LLVMpipe compares to OpenGL passthrough in virtual machines.

For example, in my testing LLVMpipe seemed to be on par with VirtualBox 3D acceleration. I'd like to know if that's true and whether VMware is any better.

I've been a Phoronix Premium subscriber in the past but you had to go to the forums first to activate the benefits each and every time, and nobody seemed to read the premium forums anyway. Since then I keep switching the ad blocker on and off - off when a really interesting article come along and on when ads get too distracting and annoying. Switched it off starting now, let's see how it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurBorsboom View Post
                  I would like to see a performance test with different desktops, for example.

Unity
                  Gnome
                  KDE
                  Cinnamon
                  Mate
                  XFCE
                  Razor-Qt
                  LXDE
                  LXDE-Qt (= LXQT)
                  It has been done in the past:

6-Way Linux Desktop 2D/3D Performance Comparison [12 March 2014] Unity 7.1.2, Xfce 4.10, KDE 4.12.3, LXDE 0.6.1, GNOME Shell 3.10.4, Openbox 3.5.2

8-Way Desktop Comparison [22 June 2013] Unity 7.0.0, Xfce 4.10, KDE 4.10.4, GNOME Shell 3.8.3, LXDE 0.5.12, Openbox 3.5.0, Razor-Qt 0.5.2

Desktop Comparison: 6 Desktops, 5 Driver/GPU Combinations [13 December 2012] Unity 6.6.0, GNOME Shell 3.6.2, GNOME Classic 3.6.2, KDE Plasma 4.9.90, Xfce 4.10, LXDE 0.5.11

Comment

Disabling ad blocker didn't go well. I want ads like this gone, please. Until then I have to keep the ad blocker up.

Comment

I try to disable my adblocker and click on your ads from times to times but I'm really not having a good time browsing Phoronix with ads. They slow down my Firefox to a crawl and some (read: way too many) of them are distracting and/or targetting idiots. I wouldn't click on some of those even if you paid me to.

Comment

Working...
                      X