Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boast View Post
    I just switched from Arch to Ubuntu. Been using it about a week and it seems fine to me.
    Are you crazy man. Don't do that round these parts. You might get stoned to death :|... Keep it on the down low...

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      To be honest, that's... even worse. It makes it seem that Ubuntu started off as a Linux distribution, but is no longer one. And then in the 5th paragraph you have:

But Ubuntu isn't based on any commercial offering, and the community versions are no worse than the commercial offerings (the point of them is support, not the software). And once again it makes it seem that Ubuntu is no longer a Linux distribution.

Then again, them not advertising Linux too much may not be that bad, as they diverge from the usual stack. Same as Android, them not mentioning Linux that prominently means that people can continue referring to GNU/Linux distributions as those that have the regular software stack.
      Seriously. Ubuntu is just as much GNU/Linux as Debian, Fedora or any other distro out there.
      Let me ask you this, in what way is it not?

Comment

• Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Source: http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu

Can you even read? This is literally paragraph 2. It took me all of 5 seconds to find this.

Can you write down the 1800 number of the place where you live? You know, the place where all the nice people in white coats take care of you and make sure you take your medicine? Thanks a good boy, just get us your helper's phone number so we can take care of your nasty habit of typing jibberish on the magic internet box you sneak time on. That's a good boy, take your medicine and that bad man canonical will leave you alone and stop making you so angry.
        and what this link proves? i said clearly the main site ubuntu.com where 99% look what ubuntu is and they replaced every GNU/Linux conicidence with Ubuntu/OS and i'm sure your average user will not go to the footer-left and read all the small fonts to find the "about ubuntu" link for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by grenadecx View Post
          Seriously. Ubuntu is just as much GNU/Linux as Debian, Fedora or any other distro out there.
          Let me ask you this, in what way is it not?
          1.) Unique low QA downstream patch(specially mesa)
          2.) Unique Exclusive desktop environment(unity)
          3.) Unique exclusive display server(Mir)
          4.) Unique init system(upstart)
          5.) Dash as bin/sh
          6.) lowest code contributor in linux history
          7.) many packages have very weird or broken defaults[samba4 for example which is perfectly fine in Debian]

and neither 2,3,4 do anything better than the community projects it tries to replace

Comment

• Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            and what this link proves? i said clearly the main site ubuntu.com where 99% look what ubuntu is and they replaced every GNU/Linux conicidence with Ubuntu/OS and i'm sure your average user will not go to the footer-left and read all the small fonts to find the "about ubuntu" link for sure
            And which rule says that Ubuntu's website must advertise for GNU and the Linux kernel? You are reaching man.

Comment

1.) Unique low QA downstream patch(specially mesa)
              2.) Unique Exclusive desktop environment(unity)
              3.) Unique exclusive display server(Mir)
              4.) Unique init system(upstart)
              5.) Dash as bin/sh
              6.) lowest code contributor in linux history
              7.) many packages have very weird or broken defaults[samba4 for example which is perfectly fine in Debian]

and neither 2,3,4 do anything better than the community projects it tries to replace
              1 is a bit iffy. 2 through 7 are non factual.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                1 is a bit iffy. 2 through 7 are non factual.
                1.) you can check easily uncompressing an mesa ubuntu src-deb
                2-4.) are ubuntu specific since nobody else use it or can build it without break upstream packages
                5.) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh, sure not that bad but it can get really annoying sometimes
                6.) check most common upstreams repos history and see for yourself
                7.) samba4 is broken and there is a notice in a fix PPA[miss all FS module but the config file call them], openafs have to be compiled by hand if you want it to work, RBD is problematic, many raid controllers give weird failures that get fixed switching to pure debian kernels and some other annoyance now and then

Comment

is just me or ubuntu.com just removed all references to GNU/Linux and changed it for Ubuntu OS?

and this got changed too in the main ubuntu page in the "Why is it free? It’s open source" section

"Our global community[dafuq?] is made up of thousands of people who want to help build the best open-source operating system in the world. They volunteer their time and skills to make sure that Ubuntu[dafuq?] keeps getting better and better."

canonical just piss me off
                  Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  Ok then. About pages one click away don't count? The Linux mention must be on the front page?

I'll pretend to be you.

is just me or debian.org just removed all references to GNU/Linux and changed it for Debian OS?

Debian just piss me off
                  I kept the bad grammar too Am I doing it right?

Too bad the about page one click away doesn't count, because it mentions linux like 5 times in the first couple of paragraphs, but I guess 99% of people look what debian is and they replaced every GNU/Linux conicidence with Debian/OS and i'm sure your average user will not go to the footer-left and read all the small fonts to find the "about debian" link for sure.
                  Lolz :P I am so good at pretending to be jrch2k8.

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                  And which rule says that Ubuntu's website must advertise for GNU and the Linux kernel? You are reaching man.
                  He really is reaching, for a one way trip to the crazy house, thats for sure.

Comment

canonical just piss me off
                    Man you should really just complete a copy of this form: http://www.27bslash6.com/brf.jpg
                    and email it to #%^&@markshuttleworth.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                      Man you should really just complete a copy of this form: http://www.27bslash6.com/brf.jpg
                      and email it to #%^&@markshuttleworth.com
                      still butt hurted by the poll?

Comment

Working...
                      X