No announcement yet.

Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This poll is junk, make a new one that has restrictions like account creation date or required number of posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      This poll is junk, make a new one that has restrictions like account creation date or required number of posts.
      I don't know if it's junk but every time I check back the results are different from what they were trending but it gives a vauge idea I guess.

If whatever benchmark is the same or close to the same, no need to include more than one distro even if it's Ubuntu right? However if the results are all quite varied I think Michael should include at least multiple desktops as we already have seen that those results can be all over the map, let alone kernel versions. problem solved yeah?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maudit View Post
        ?Free software? means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. With these freedoms, the users (both individually and collectively) control the program and what it does for them.
        When users don't control the program, the program controls the users. The developer controls the program, and through it controls the users. This nonfree or ?proprietary? program is therefore an instrument of unjust power.
        Thus, ?free software? is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of ?free? as in ?free speech,? not as in ?free beer?.
        http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

You perception of "free software", without critical thinking, is much closer to "free beer" than "free speech".

Since you want to teach me something about "Free Software", and the prohibition to criticize:

Richard Stallman Spyware on Ubuntu using Amazon 2013.
        Thanks to Muktware:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vkscUbuntu start Sound:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQaEXZ-df6Y

Do you know who is Richard Stallman? Or you only know your God "Mark"?
        Stallman mate we all know very well ... Linus Torvalds instead said , "I believe that Ubuntu has taken the right approach, and it was very user-centric", then forget it. Do you know who this is Linus Torvalds? I think the issue of Linux are its users, who are at war not realizing that actually Linux on desktop DOES NOT EXIST!

Comment

• :P

Xubuntu or Ubuntu with xfce? Because in the last review is Ubuntu 13.10 with xfce 4.10. Is fine, but is XMir? :P Xubuntu 13.10 will use mir?

Comment

• Not that there is any real point to this poll, but will votes from new accounts (i.e. those created after the poll was published) be weighted differently? This poll seems about as reliable as horoscopes and DistroWatch's Page Hit Rankings. Some of these new account votes may very well be from people who do visit the site regularly but just haven't posted before, but a lot of them (I'm going to go out on a limb and say most) won't be. The poll seems like it is ripe for flash mob voting.

Rather than primarily focusing just on one distribution for the majority of benchmarks, why not pick the most recent releases of the five (or, if that's too time-consuming, narrow it down to two or three) distinctly separate desktop-oriented distributions (or fully compatible derivatives thereof) with the greatest targeted vendor support? That would leave out a lot of great distributions, but seems more practical. It would provide some degree of variation, while omitting more niche distributions.
            Last edited by eidolon; 31 July 2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
              I don't know if it's junk but every time I check back the results are different from what they were trending but it gives a vauge idea I guess.

If whatever benchmark is the same or close to the same, no need to include more than one distro even if it's Ubuntu right? However if the results are all quite varied I think Michael should include at least multiple desktops as we already have seen that those results can be all over the map, let alone kernel versions. problem solved yeah?
              The only reason the results are varied is because it became an outside population contest. Some distros are advertising to come vote on phoronix. aka people who will never even visit the site to see the news.
              I'd be willing to wager at least half the votes were accounts created within the last week and 0 posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by barryr View Post
                Spend your precious time helping Windows users switch to your preferred distribution. It is a waste of our time to listen to one more hater.
                Your understanding of Mir is low. Free software is freedom, what is your problem with the work on Mir? 50 shades of Free?

You are a negative person. The positive thing is to help Windows users switch to your preferred Linux distribution, whichever it is.
                But no, it is easier to be negative...
                My understanding of Mir is not low i have a high understanding of it and thats why i don't like any thing about it at all

i been helpping Windows users switch to Linux distribution's (Even Ubuntu) for year's now it's just whats happening now makes me Rethank hmm Why Linux when we have Bad Low Level's of fragmentation now? i don't see any point Atm of trying to get any one on Windows to move to Linux why we're in such a bad Storm this also put's Development of Linux Behind do to even more fragmentation's

Wayland is a defragmentation as all DE's will use one core and it has a Stable API it is Well Developed Give's Grate tool kits

now we have more fragmentation

Mir is a fragmentation out of tree lack's Development has a poor API (Bad Copy paste Job) and the API is Unstable on it and whats the Point of C++ on a DS? it's not really doing any thing hard the GPU is going to do all the work any ways no real tool kits for it Ubuntu Only even Xubuntu Kbunutu Lubuntu are not going to use it

we need to be Preventing fragmentation (DE's don't count as they don't really do shit to the lower End of thing's) this is going to end up really bad for any one using Linux and i'm now the only one saying this

This
                "Mir isn?t like a fragmentation between a package manager or a toolkit. Mir brings fragmentation in the very low level of Linux Desktop and in the part that Linux hurts most; Graphics stack, including Mesa, Drivers and Hardware Manufacturers"

Mir is one of the most negative Thing's if not the most negative Thing Linux has seen in maybe all of my years of using it

so freedom only applies to Software? so any one Saying any thing About a Pet Project that even Effects them and any one Using there beloved Linux just needs to Stay Calm and keep quiet?

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  My understanding of Mir is not low i have a high understanding of it and thats why i don't like any thing about it at all

Mir is a fragmentation out of tree lack's Development has a poor API (Bad Copy paste Job) and the API is Unstable on it and whats the Point of C++ on a DS? it's not really doing any thing hard the GPU is going to do all the work any ways no real tool kits for it Ubuntu Only even Xubuntu Kbunutu Lubuntu are not going to use it
                  I don't know what kind of expert or authority you purport to be but you obviously do not know what you think you know.

1. Mir does not "lack development", a lot of development is going on and it's happening at an impressively rapid pace.
                  If you have proof of things being otherwise then please provide evidence to support this like inactive repository or anything else you can come up with.

2. Mir does not have a poor API. I've looked over the code in the Mir repo on launchpad and I can guarantee to you that the API is not poorly designed. Again, if you can prove otherwise then link to source files and explain why the APIs are "poor".

3. What exactly is wrong with using C++ on a display server? Ideally, you should be able to use C++ anywhere you use C and just as efficiently. If you are concerned about bindings to other languages(which C++ is notoriously bad at) then a C wrapper can be created over the Mir APIs to solve that problem if it ever comes up.
                  Last edited by jayrulez; 31 July 2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                    I don't know what kind of expert or authority you purport to be but you obviously do not know what you think you know.

1. Mir does not "lack development", a lot of development is going on and it's happening at an impressively rapid pace.
                    If you have proof of things being otherwise then please provide evidence to support this like inactive repository or anything else you can come up with.

2. Mir does not have a poor API. I've looked over the code in the Mir repo on launchpad and I can guarantee to you that the API is not poorly designed. Again, if you can prove otherwise then link to source files and explain why the APIs are "poor".

3. What exactly is wrong with using C++ on a display server? Ideally, you should be able to use C++ anywhere you use C and just as efficiently. If you are concerned about bindings to other languages(which C++ is notoriously bad at) then a C wrapper can be created over the Mir APIs to solve that problem if it ever comes up.
                    1 that rapid pace was do to all the work that was done for Wayland, Kernel, Tool kits, Mesa, Drivers, Etc and Mir was in Development for over a year now..

2 Most of Mir's Code is a Copy Paste Job and using a C to C++ Converter i forgot the tools name But you do have a point Mir's API is practically nonexistent and fully relies on Patch sets and Xmir

3 Coding it in C++ just give's more over head maybe thats why Wayland was done in C

<3 C++ for games

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                      1 that rapid pace was do to all the work that was done for Wayland, Kernel, Tool kits, Mesa, Drivers, Etc and Mir was in Development for over a year now..

2 Most of Mir's Code is a Copy Paste Job and using a C to C++ Converter i forgot the tools name But you do have a point Mir's API is practically nonexistent and fully relies on Patch sets and Xmir

3 Coding it in C++ just give's more over head maybe thats why Wayland was done in C

<3 C++ for games
                      Are you really stupid or are you just pretending to be stupid?

Comment

Working...
                      X