Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern NTFS Driver Sees Bug Fixes With Linux 6.10

Phoronix: Modern NTFS Driver Sees Bug Fixes With Linux 6.10

While not as exciting as XFS expanding its online repair support, Bcachefs prepping for online fsck, Btrfs seeing some performance work, or F2FS improving zoned storage support, the modern NTFS driver "NTFS3" saw a set of fixes land for the Linux 6.10 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I use that NTFS driver to access the Windows partitions along with ext4. I hope those stay as boring as it can get. Thanks for the update Michael!

Comment

The only thing that asks me to boot windows at home is my camera hobby and Lightroom.

Has anyone catched why Samsung android does NTFS only in read only and my Sony Android does work fine? Where's the beef? I sometimes add external SSD to my phone to it to copy some files fast, like firmware tools etc... have found it amusing that there are still some issues on certain devices with NTFS.
      Last edited by Ferrum Master; 26 May 2024, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Does this driver still cause regular data corruption?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrum Master View Post
          The only thing that asks me to boot windows at home is my camera hobby and Lightroom.

Has anyone catched why Samsung android does NTFS only in read only and my Sony Android does work fine? Where's the beef? I sometimes add external SSD to my phone to it to copy some files fast, like firmware tools etc... have found it amusing that there are still some issues on certain devices with NTFS.
          Couple of possible reasons I can think of.
          - NTFS driver write support is not compiled in or enabled
          - NTFS partition is mounted read only

These are either decisions or oversight by OS developers. BTW, I don't know about Sony but Samsung's kernel builds were terrible a couple years ago ... so unoptimized and bloated. Maybe they improved some now but I have not touched any of their Android devices since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post
            Has it ever caused regular data corruption?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Has it ever caused regular data corruption?
              Yes, I've tried it multiple times, and every time after few days of usage it would require me to use chkdsk from windows to fix the drive.

Comment

Yes, I've tried it multiple times, and every time after few days of usage it would require me to use chkdsk from windows to fix the drive.
                I've had zero issues so far.

If you have something easily reproducible, maybe you could let developers know (there's an NTFS mailing list for that) instead of you know, asking end users who have no idea how and whether it all works.

Comment

Not like it used to, no. I've had a relatively stable experience with recent kernels.

However, there's still no repair utility for ntfs3. So, if you encounter unexpected power outages or forced shutdowns for any reason, the partition will be marked as dirty, and you'll need to use Windows to repair it via chkdsk. This is exactly why it's not suitable for production systems.​

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrum Master View Post

Why not use exFat for this purpose instead of NTFS?

Comment

Working...
                    X