X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [deXter]
    replied
    Originally posted by zaps166 View Post

It's unsupported for a reason (because ntfs3 driver is not stable enough?).
    The main reason why it's unsupported and why the corruption occurs, is because Proton/Wine creates folders with a colon in them (eg /pfx/dosdevices/c:) - and a colon is an invalid character for NTFS filenames.

To prevent such issues, you'll need to mount the drive with the windows_names mount option (introduced with kernel 6.2). However, doing so will cause issues with Proton because now it can't create those files - so you'll still need to symlink the compatdata folder.

Unfortunately there's still a potential issue with some programs (usually mods/mod managers) creating duplicate files/folders with different casing that can cause all sorts of issues. Now this was supposed to have been addressed with a nocase option with kernel 6.2, but for some odd reason it doesn't seem to work (tested on 6.9 - the driver seems to silently ignore it), and I can't find any reference to it in the kernel documentation either... so not quite sure what's the story there.

Leave a comment:

• zaps166
    replied
    Originally posted by RushingAlien View Post
    > infinite dir enumeration;

Finally, this has been causing hell for steam shadercaches on an ntfs.
    Just tested 6.10-rc2 - seems to be fixed - no directory corruption (no longer need to create symlinks of these dirs to linux native). Any chance to backport it to LTS kernels?

Leave a comment:

• RushingAlien
    replied
    > infinite dir enumeration;

Finally, this has been causing hell for steam shadercaches on an ntfs.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferrum Master View Post

Pixels are poorly supported and in EU, some aren't even capable working with certain carriers due to lack of testing and google being retarded and OP HW wise is a mess.

Sorry no, if we compare like 10 years ago, most had some sort of stable customOS option without caveats. Now it is a bit paintrain with many tradeoffs.
    That's a shame to hear. I've got a Pixel 4 somewhere, and it was showing signs then of not the greatest support. Couldn't get the auto ROM loader to load a custom ROM, so out it away two years ago and left it at that.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Not true! You just have to buy the right device nowadays, at least in the US where our right to repair laws are garbage.

OnePlus and Pixel devices are fully unlockable and have thriving custom rom communities.
    The greatest of ironies is Googles Pixel is (one of) the best go-to for an unlocked ROM. I can't do Smangsmung, Pixels are really expensive here and people usually sell them broken or are snatched up quick (I wonder why...).

Damnit!

Also, I thirdsies the BTRFS driver in Windows option. Seemed solid and pretty fast, even if it's not updated regularly. I only need basic flat partition anyway, as it's Steam, and it'll do its own file check.

Not sure why I personally would use a NTFS partition for Linux Steam. Seems a little counterintuitive. But, my finger is well off the cracking pace of progress all the OS' are achieving these ays, so 🤷🏼‍♀️

Leave a comment:

• Ferrum Master
    replied
    Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
    OnePlus and Pixel devices are fully unlockable and have thriving custom rom communities.
    Pixels are poorly supported and in EU, some aren't even capable working with certain carriers due to lack of testing and google being retarded and OP HW wise is a mess.

Sorry no, if we compare like 10 years ago, most had some sort of stable customOS option without caveats. Now it is a bit paintrain with many tradeoffs.

Leave a comment:

• avis
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post

Is SSD TRIM supported on exFAT?
    It is.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Why not use exFat for this purpose instead of NTFS?
    Is SSD TRIM supported on exFAT?

Leave a comment:

• partcyborg
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferrum Master View Post

Times are gone when you could do custom OS on most devices and forget the crap OEMs put in your phones... now? Damn... it is sad.
    Not true! You just have to buy the right device nowadays, at least in the US where our right to repair laws are garbage.

Leave a comment:

• WileEPyote
    replied
    Originally posted by Mthw View Post

What FS am I supposed to use If I want to share my library between linux and windows then?
    Originally posted by aviallon View Post
    I did the opposite on my dual boot laptop.
    Installed Windows BTRFS driver, tried to use my Linux Steam library on Windows, was shocked to see that, yes, it does work.
    And I use a multi-device BTRFS partition with compression enabled.
    Was just about to suggest BTRFS with the BTRFS driver on Windows, but you beat me to it.

As for the NTFS dirty bit, I still get it every once in a while too, but nothing is ever actually corrupted. I just use ntfsfix and run
    Code:
    sudo ntfsfix -d /path/to/device
    Haven't had an issue with it in over a year of doing it that way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X