Modern NTFS Driver Sees Bug Fixes With Linux 6.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Why not use exFat for this purpose instead of NTFS?
    It is a multi partition external drive with Windows to go and Linux. By default... android sees only the first partition on partitioned drives unless you have root. It is beyond stupid sometimes. It is for work, to add some config files or firmware for laptops when the PC is busy doing something else and screwing with ports ain't recommended as it would kill another device while flashing, so I sometimes use my phone and accidentally found this. I was just amused that there are actually differences. The bloated Samsung crap doesn't work fully(S928) and Sony(XQ-DQ54) does. I use the Samsung just because I need to for debugging and learning reasons, my main driver is the SONY one.

Times are gone when you could do custom OS on most devices and forget the crap OEMs put in your phones... now? Damn... it is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post
      Does this driver still cause regular data corruption?
      Yes, for example: "ntfs3: nvme2n1p2: ino=94814, "certs" Looks like your dir is corrupt". It happens often on Steam. Workaround is to keep only Windows games on ntfs3, don't install Proton on ntfs3 and don't use shader cache on ntfs3. Otherwise very easy to to corrupt directories and freeze application using it (including file browsers). If Steam will install Proton automatically on ntfs3, it will probably corrupt directory. To repair - use Windows checkdisk or "rm -rf" on corrupted directory few times.

Another thing is a dirty flag. I configure udisks2 to add "force" flag, otherwise I can't use many USB sticks with NTFS.

Comment

zaps166 AFAIK it's explicitly unsupported by Steam to use NTFS as a drive for your game library on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
          zaps166 AFAIK it's explicitly unsupported by Steam to use NTFS as a drive for your game library on Linux.
          What FS am I supposed to use If I want to share my library between linux and windows then?

Comment

What FS am I supposed to use If I want to share my library between linux and windows then?
            It's unsupported for a reason (because ntfs3 driver is not stable enough?).

For me it works quite good with restrictions:
            - disable shader cache (I don't like it anyway)
            - symlink "compatdata" from $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata to game library on NTFS
            - don't allow Steam to download Proton and Steam Linux Runtime on NTFS

Maybe this issue will be finally fixed in 6.10?

Using exfat is a bad idea - no symlinks, file name restrictions, slow with many small files. However I tried it in the past, I mounted "compatdata" with "-o bind" flag and it worked, too.

Comment

Originally posted by zaps166 View Post

It's unsupported for a reason (because ntfs3 driver is not stable enough?).

For me it works quite good with restrictions:
              - disable shader cache (I don't like it anyway)
              - symlink "compatdata" from $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata to game library on NTFS
              - don't allow Steam to download Proton and Steam Linux Runtime on NTFS

Maybe this issue will be finally fixed in 6.10?

Using exfat is a bad idea - no symlinks, file name restrictions, slow with many small files. However I tried it in the past, I mounted "compatdata" with "-o bind" flag and it worked, too.
              I did the opposite on my dual boot laptop.
              Installed Windows BTRFS driver, tried to use my Linux Steam library on Windows, was shocked to see that, yes, it does work.
              And I use a multi-device BTRFS partition with compression enabled.

Comment

‚Äč
                Originally posted by aviallon View Post
                I did the opposite on my dual boot laptop.
                Installed Windows BTRFS driver, tried to use my Linux Steam library on Windows, was shocked to see that, yes, it does work.
                And I use a multi-device BTRFS partition with compression enabled.
                Was just about to suggest BTRFS with the BTRFS driver on Windows, but you beat me to it.

As for the NTFS dirty bit, I still get it every once in a while too, but nothing is ever actually corrupted. I just use ntfsfix and run
                Code:
                sudo ntfsfix -d /path/to/device
                Haven't had an issue with it in over a year of doing it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrum Master View Post

Times are gone when you could do custom OS on most devices and forget the crap OEMs put in your phones... now? Damn... it is sad.
                  Not true! You just have to buy the right device nowadays, at least in the US where our right to repair laws are garbage.

OnePlus and Pixel devices are fully unlockable and have thriving custom rom communities.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Why not use exFat for this purpose instead of NTFS?
                    Is SSD TRIM supported on exFAT?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

Is SSD TRIM supported on exFAT?
                      It is.

Comment

Working...
                      X