Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Landed Many Last Minute Features Ahead Of The Plasma 6.1 Beta

Phoronix: KDE Landed Many Last Minute Features Ahead Of The Plasma 6.1 Beta

It was a busy week for KDE developers ahead of yesterday's Plasma 6.1 Beta release. KDE developer Nate Graham in his weekly development summary outlined all of the interesting changes to make it into the Plasma 6.1 desktop ahead of the feature freeze that went into effect with the beta release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL, so kwin_wayland doesn't crash anymore, it just "quits", unexpectedly. It sounds less bad, but we all know what they really mean ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post
      LOL, so kwin_wayland doesn't crash anymore, it just "quits", unexpectedly. It sounds less bad, but we all know what they really mean ;-)
      'Compositor Handoff' feature restores QT applications after kwin_wayland restart.

Comment

Originally posted by xAlt7x View Post

'Compositor Handoff' feature restores QT applications after kwin_wayland restart.
        That's really great. Except why would it restart in the first place? Just for fun? Or because it crashed? What's so bad about calling it what it is: crashing.

I get that it's become a meme, and they're trying to get rid of that by calling it restarting, exiting, or quitting. But they're unhandled exceptions, in other words: crashing.

Comment

That's really great. Except why would it restart in the first place? Just for fun? Or because it crashed? What's so bad about calling it what it is: crashing.

I get that it's become a meme, and they're trying to get rid of that by calling it restarting, exiting, or quitting. But they're unhandled exceptions, in other words: crashing.
          Rapid Unscheduled Graceful Shutdown

Comment

Crashes or quits, however you wanna call it doesn't really matter imo. I think what's important in this case is the specific bug - that it crashes simply if too many windows are open. I don't know how everyone else here feel about it, but to me, the ridiculousness of this bug just screams that the software is fundamentally poorly designed.

Edit: from the bug report it seem like this is actually not a crash. Still doesn't change the ridiculousness of this bug, even if it's technically caused by some Wayland protocol limitation.
            Last edited by user1; 25 May 2024, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Crashes or quits, however you wanna call it doesn't really matter imo. I think what's important in this case is the specific bug - that it crashes simply if too many windows are open. I don't know how everyone else here feel about it, but to me, the ridiculousness of this bug just screams that the software is fundamentally poorly designed.
              All crashes are quits, but not all quits are crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                I think what's important in this case is the specific bug - that it crashes simply if too many windows are open. I don't know how everyone else here feel about it, but to me, the ridiculousness of this bug just screams that the software is fundamentally poorly designed.
                How much software have you worked on? Too much X is not a rare problem due to hard constraints you have no control over. In this case, it was an issue with Wayland maximum message size.

Comment

I hope they continue revamping the Power Settings page a little further. It doesn't actually say what any of the power profiles actually do. No tooltips. Nothing. Just Balanced, Performance, and Power Save. Do they change governors? Do they tweak when things turn on and off? Will they change keyboard or monitor brightness. Fuck if I know. It doesn't say. Even the blog post going into the new Energy Settings menu doesn't say want they do, just that they're there.

Also, I have tooltips enabled. Where did all the tooltips go? The only ones in the start menu are on the header bar. The System Settings are the same way where tooltips only exist in the header bar and not on the settings that you'd like more information about what you're about to change.

I remember them talking about cutting back on tooltips a year or so ago, but it really, really sucks when you come to options like Power Profiles where there's nothing in the System Settings that says what does what nor are we given a basic tooltip either because, fuck me, they finally cut them back and I'm just now noticing after a fresh install as I'm digging through the settings menus with nondescript options to set things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

How much software have you worked on? Too much X is not a rare problem due to hard constraints you have no control over. In this case, it was an issue with Wayland maximum message size.
                    It is a pretty low limit that was causing this issue. As few as 50 windows potentially having a problem seems like something that would have been found earlier in a beta testing process.

It does appear to be specific to a private kwin protocol, though, and a simple enough fix once they found it.

Comment

Working...
                    X