No announcement yet.

Mesa 24.1 Released With Explicit Sync Vulkan Drivers, More Mature NVK Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.1 Released With Explicit Sync Vulkan Drivers, More Mature NVK Driver

Phoronix: Mesa 24.1 Released With Explicit Sync Vulkan Drivers, More Mature NVK Driver

Eric Engestrom has announced the release of Mesa 24.1 as this quarter's feature release to these open-source OpenGL and Vulkan drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

updated: https://t2sde.org/packages/mesa

Comment

I don't think it is that "ready" for prime time. After building mesa from git, zink didn't work with my GL benchmark any more, and runinng vkcube gives a segfault.
      Maybe they'll fix it soon

Comment

so now the drivers have to say specifically to sync to the apps? this soundsl ike a disaster waiting to hapepn.... what if the drive forgets to sync? what if the application forgets to iosyunc ()!?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post
          so now the drivers have to say specifically to sync to the apps? this soundsl ike a disaster waiting to hapepn.... what if the drive forgets to sync? what if the application forgets to iosyunc ()!?
          It doesn't require a change in the app's Vulkan code. I think it is mostly about the Vulkan driver sync'ing with the compositor internally.

Comment

Just tested mesa-git with kwin with explicit sync patches on AMD. Zero improvements. ZERO.

Comment

i have a arc a750 i wonder if there is any improvements at all with that.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                Just tested mesa-git with kwin with explicit sync patches on AMD. Zero improvements. ZERO.
                It can give better frame pacing when there are nested compositors.
                Noticeable when using Xwayland for instance.

Comment

Speaking of the picture in the post, 10 years ago if you had told me we'd have triple slot GPUs some day I may have laughed.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                    Based on this article: https://www.phoronix.com/news/KDE-KW...-Explicit-Sync

it sounds like Kwin's explicit sync support will be out mid-June. If that means what I think it does, I wouldn't expect any visible improvements before that.

As of this afternoon the KWin explicit sync support in place for Plasma 6.1 due out in mid-June.

Comment

Working...
                    X