Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 555.42.02 Linux Beta Brings Wayland Explicit Sync, GSP Firmware Used By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Are there Xwayland bug reports about those broken apps?
    Yeah there are plenty but it doesn't mean they'll ever be solved. Some apps are working on WL support but its still a buggy experience.

Comment

Yeah. Version 555. Who remembers the NE555?

Comment

Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post
        you don't know what broken by design means
        I do, but clearly you don't understand what "broken" means.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
          Yes, the child processes' window contents are fully part of the host's content handling.

The host decides at if it wants to put any such foreign content into its main window, into any of its sub windows or give the content a sub window of its own.
          It can even switch just placements at runtime.
          But does the child render into it, or the host/parent? Because if the child doesn't render into it, it's pointless.

Comment

works great, fixes my last issue with wayland. those who still need rootful x11 can use it, or use a rootful xwayland session, but i dont and i cant imagine many others do! xwayland is good enough to play my games now

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              But does the child render into it, or the host/parent? Because if the child doesn't render into it, it's pointless.
              Obviously the children render their window content, they can run stand alone or as children of the host.

The two children in the demo are just placeholders for the applications the customer already has.

The main point of the demo was to show how easy it is to embed their rendering in a combined host.
              Ideally without having to modify the other applications, which the demo showed to be possible.

Comment

I do, but clearly you don't understand what "broken" means.
                No you don't know what "broken by design" means.

Something that is truly broken by design equals no possibility of fixing including nobody trying to fix it. Since I can point you to 264 the reality is wayland is not broken by design for lot of the problems you raise Weasel. This would be instead Wayland is incomplete/not finished and stuck in complex possible over bureaucratic system that comes from the once bitten twice shy caused by the mess X11 protocol turned into.

Slow progress does not equal broken by design..

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

No you don't know what "broken by design" means.

Something that is truly broken by design equals no possibility of fixing including nobody trying to fix it. Since I can point you to 264 the reality is wayland is not broken by design for lot of the problems you raise Weasel. This would be instead Wayland is incomplete/not finished and stuck in complex possible over bureaucratic system that comes from the once bitten twice shy caused by the mess X11 protocol turned into.

Slow progress does not equal broken by design..
                  Dude can you shut up with 264, it's not merged. How do you know it won't get rejected like all the previous attempts? That's why it's broken by design until proven otherwise. Rejecting this proves it's by design.

Comment

Dude can you shut up with 264, it's not merged. How do you know it won't get rejected like all the previous attempts? That's why it's broken by design until proven otherwise. Rejecting this proves it's by design.
                    You can look at other items like explicit sync support that went though multi rounds of protocol extensions before finally getting accepted.

Wayland protocol acceptance process means broken by design parts don't get in very simply. Yes the suggesting by you Weasel to allow absolute position is asking for something broken by design.

What you really are after is means to position windows in reality it does not matter if that absolute or not as long as positioning is predictable.

Rejecting does prove is by design but is that by design because they will not accept broken designs that what you are not considering.

The reality is people keep on asking stuff to be merged into the Wayland protocol that are under full introspection are broken by design so a design that not broken is what is required so the feature wanted can be merged.

I said 264 my self may not merge but the limitations that 264 documents to make a non broken by design positioning of Windows will be in what ever protocol extension to provide the wanted feature does get merged.

Weasel you saying Wayland protocol is broken by design. You are not considering what you and others have been asking for is in fact broken by design and that why you are not getting it. Yes you need to step back work out what you really need and drop the wants.

Comment

If you read the comments, it's pretty much been approved. A bunch of desktops probably won't ever implement it though - clearly Mutter never will, and it's of limited usefulness on any of the tiling desktops. So it may be that it's only ever used on kwin, which isn't really ideal.

But that sort of highlights that the issue here has nothing to do with Wayland itself, and everything to do with the Mutter developers opposing the whole concept of what you want. If Wayland enforced everyone to support the same features, then you'd see Mutter devs blocking it entirely. If people stayed on X, you'd probably see Mutter devs just break their desktop to remove support for it, even inside X, because that's simply what they want to do.
                      Last edited by smitty3268; 24 May 2024, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X