Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 555.42.02 Linux Beta Brings Wayland Explicit Sync, GSP Firmware Used By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
    Today I received updates for Kwin drag&drop crash fix vs Chrome in my machine.
    On my machine, it just starts minimized. And stays that way. Not sure why, it didn't use to do that.

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
    Arch doesn't allow you to run binaries? You don't have to wait for the driver from the repository. Or is it difficult to install any BIN in Arch?
    Hmm, I don't know, maybe I should investigate whether Arch lets me do that. Of course I can install anything I want, but I don't want to add an AUR (see the suggestion above) or to track driver release myself. Because one you install from binaries, it's out of pacman's hands.

I have no problem sticking with X until Wayland limps its way to stardom.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Believe it or not. X11 is still be maintained. It isn't getting anything new and fancy, but it gets bug fixes still which will ensure it keeps working for a LONG time still.
      Especially considering MANY developers still don't care about WL support, sadly.
      so big applications will not drop support for X11 specially Browsers, Commercial Apps as they want to support Linux but not spend lot of QA for two display servers (most only QA with LTS Ubuntu and RHEL)? Similar story with new frameworks , People stick to default so Wayland is already used more than X11 (it was 90% wayland and 10% X11 in one of the big linux app I worked on last year which surprised me a lot due to comments here).

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
        I can position my windows just fine.
        Show me your script or stfu.

I ain't doing manual labor, that's for peasants like yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

That is actually very easy, I've done that for a customer demo a couple of months ago.
          Incorporating the main window of two child processes into the host application and even nicely dealing with any sub windows the two children might open.

The child doesn't even need to know about this, any unmodified Wayland application will do.

Are you sure it was a child window, and not just a normal top level window? Child window means completely embedded in the parent (where the parent is a different process).

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
            That's not how it works. There's no organization which has that kind of control. The fact that there's nobody left making major releases of xserver (outside of Xwayland) is simply that nobody wants to do it, or wants it to happen badly enough to pay others to make them do it.​
            Wow. I missed that particular gem... and yeah, Freedesktop has about as much power over the Linux desktop as the U.N. has over world politics and for exactly the same reason. They're just a forum where the groups with the actual power try to find common ground. (eg. right now, we're seeing GNOME going "Y'know what? We're not sure the XDG Icon Naming Spec is a good idea anymore"... and XDG (X Desktop Group) was Freedesktop's original name. F*** you, GNOME. I don't want to go back to the bad old days of the 2000s when the names of icons in themes were completely disjoint.)

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              Show me your script or stfu.

I ain't doing manual labor, that's for peasants like yourself.
              lol what a joke nvidia and amd playing us for fools thinking we dont see through the gimmicks overpriced gpus and pretending to care about power efficiency or whatever while the real deal is to shove down our throats more expensive 'upgrades' and don't even get me started on the whole stable diffusion deal where they bait you with vram then leave you hanging with crappy support AMD GPUs a WIP forever talk about snails pace progress basically its buy used or get ripped off or BETTER YET lets ALL just wait out this overinflated market together

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Are you sure it was a child window, and not just a normal top level window? Child window means completely embedded in the parent (where the parent is a different process).
                Get a life, troll...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Get a life, troll...
                  Talking to the mirror? Look at your pathetic out-of-context reply.

Mad cause bad.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

It's not just normal, it's exceedingly rare.
                    not as rare as use of those still in-progress "missing" features.

Comment

So after failing with COPR and RAWHIDE dependencies (im newbie with it) I installed it as a binary.
                      Of course, the same as the others. The browser kept crashing every now and then.
                      The solution is to either use KWin without explicit synchronization patchset or run the browser in XWayland. But I didn't test if it would work. But discussions on Reddit suggest that it does.​
                      kernel 6.8.10+Nvidia Pascal gen
                      Last edited by Rovano; 22 May 2024, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X