Qualcomm Talks Up Their Linux Support For The Snapdragon X Elite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedonist View Post

the person you are replying to is talking about the true linux marketshare statistics, which is counted from a different, more accurate source.
    Some mysterious secret "truer" source?

Originally posted by hedonist View Post
    i would disagree that the steam deck isnt considered a true linux desktop
    You probably didn't read, when I wrote a system update will overwrite your changes in the system. The device is more like a phone than desktop. Currently, may change in the future. I can connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to an Android phone and run Termux or even Windows in a virtualization, too.

Comment

It'd be nice to see some "SBC" like things (in the general spirit of mini-ITX but well above raspberry-pi capability level too-small-to-be featureful HW) become more ubiquitous and relatively inexpensive compared to x86-64 / APU based boards.

Actually even other APU based boards I'd like to see more of for the same reasons.

It seems like there are all sorts of interesting laptops, chromebooks, tablets, mini-PCs, etc. wrt. SOC capabilities but short of buying those
      devices (which are almost invariably "tivoized" and physically limited wrt. being something one can adapt / expand / control) one seldom sees
      common / inexpensive (wrt. the relevant similar laptop / tablet / notebook) board level products which would be more readily able to be used with customized LINUX distributions, customized interfacing / configuration at the M.2 / SPI / I2C / PCIE / GPIO levels, etc.

Basically things as commonly available through distribution as micro-ATX / mini-ITX boards are / were over the past couple decades but
      with new generation SOC NPU/GPU/CPU processing capabilities, power efficiency, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post
        About Widnows you don't worry so much.

If you write that linux is so good why don't you use laptops on ARM? After all, Linux on ARM is so great and has a gazillion packages. So why then? Answer. As you say linux ARM is so great.

Back to windows. It's most important programs are in the ARM version, and they are the browser (Chrome, Edge, FireFox). In addition, for example, Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, 7-Zip, VLC, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, etc.

For the average user it will be enough, the rest initially in emulation mode as initially on macOS - the loss of 30% performance in some dedicated business programs will be imperceptible.

But once sales take off the rest of the programs will also be ported.

But the biggest question is whether ARM cpu will actually be so much better that customers will choose them.

In a short time intel will release new processors. AMD too. We'll see.

And as I mentioned you don't worry about corporations so much. Qualcomm knows very well what it is doing demonstrating ARM on Windows, not Linux. Because that's where the money is. This is where the market to make money is.

And you, instead of frowning about corporations, better contribute to GNOME and LibeOffice because they supposedly don't have the cash.​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          This is by design! This security feature makes ChromeOS almost as secure as something like OpenBSD. I trust ChromeOS just a little less than OpenBSD. Everything is sandboxed and restricted for security in ChromeOS. Yes it poses some inconveniences but is more secure. I actually recommend ChromeOS Flex to family members who don't game as a great secure OS for web browsing and document editing.
          ChromeOS uses a linux kernel, it could run linux userspace applications sandboxed. Yet you need to install a LinuxVM with another kernel and a virtualized GPU.
          Of course you should end up will a full read-only Linux installation managed by Google where you cant change anything, but you would need to install Linux apps in a container and run them, kinda like distrobox does.
          This would change a powerfull ChromeOS Notebook to something you could actually use for heavier stuff.

Comment

People are fighting over the Linux desktop share, which does not make any sense financially, but if they want to ship these cores to servers, they need perfect Linux support. Although desktop stability tolerance is much lower, its support fits as a port of entry to the server market.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

This is by design! This security feature makes ChromeOS almost as secure as something like OpenBSD. I trust ChromeOS just a little less than OpenBSD. Everything is sandboxed and restricted for security in ChromeOS. Yes it poses some inconveniences but is more secure. I actually recommend ChromeOS Flex to family members who don't game as a great secure OS for web browsing and document editing.
              Thank god you're not part of my family. I'd never let someone with that little knowledge and common sense recommend anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Some mysterious secret "truer" source?

You probably didn't read, when I wrote a system update will overwrite your changes in the system. The device is more like a phone than desktop. Currently, may change in the future. I can connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to an Android phone and run Termux or even Windows in a virtualization, too.
                An immutable distro is still a desktop distro.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

I do, that's why I don't use it.

If you write that linux is so good why don't you use laptops on ARM? After all, Linux on ARM is so great and has a gazillion packages. So why then? Answer. As you say linux ARM is so great.
                  1. because there isn't a single ARM based computer I would want to use and I never had a reason to e.g. use a Raspi.
                  2. Linux also runs great on an Intel CPU, still I'm on an AMD CPU, for the very same reason.

Back to windows. It's most important programs are in the ARM version, and they are the browser (Chrome, Edge, FireFox). In addition, for example, Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, 7-Zip, VLC, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, etc.
                  That wasn't the topic. It's not up to you to decide what people use. If they want to use something else, and it only causes issues because Windows is written by a bunch of underpaid interns, then that's an issue. E.g. Windows has the bad habit that even emulation for x86 apps doesn't work reliably. When the installer is "too old" (actually doesn't have to be that old) Windows can't handle it and will give arm64 libraries to x86_64 apps. And they refuse to fix that issue, instead they expect the developer - that may not exist anymore - to update the installer.

For the average user it will be enough, the rest initially in emulation mode as initially on macOS - the loss of 30% performance in some dedicated business programs will be imperceptible.
                  How much more obvious do you want to make that you don't know what you are talking about? Windows on ARM has been around for over a decade, yet the number of available native apps is still extremely small. Also, emulation on macOS is being made faster by dedicated silicon.

But once sales take off the rest of the programs will also be ported.
                  If they ever do. Like already said countless times, Microsoft is failing with Windows on ARM for decades now. OEMs and users alike are sick and tired on wasting their money on that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

If you write that linux is so good why don't you use laptops on ARM? After all, Linux on ARM is so great and has a gazillion packages. So why then? Answer. As you say linux ARM is so great.​​​​
                    Because historically the hardware behind ARM laptops (aside from Apple M series) has been total shit. Hopefully this will change with the snapdragon x / elite but up until then, ARM laptops have either been severely underpowered, extremely expensive (i.e. the thinkpad arm laptop is way overpriced) or just both.

In order to get people using laptops with ARM you actually need good ARM laptops to exist and this is the same reason why Asahi has progressed so much its because currently its the only case of good ARM laptop hardware existing.

Comment

How much more obvious do you want to make that you don't know what you are talking about? Windows on ARM has been around for over a decade, yet the number of available native apps is still extremely small.
                      Because porting is a cost. And companies can count money. Unlike you and others who like to have everything for free and want others to work for them.

There is no market, there are no programs. And there is no market , because the hardware is lousy and has no greater advantages than x86. Customers are not buying.

And maybe the new ARM will change that. Linux and its desktop completely doesn't count in this game. At most you buy a laptop with windows and install Linux there.

In addition, you make a fool out of companies that can make money like Quacomm. You write that they should focus on Linux because it has a good ecosystem.
                      They know very well what they are doing by betting on WInows. They want to sell, they want to make money, not go bankrupt.

Desktop Linux is eating the leftovers from the Windows table. Because it does not represent the market. That's why you play through Wine and not natively.

Only when good hardware for Widnowws ARM is released will you be able to enjoy good hardware on Linux.
                      ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                      X