Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Releases OpenXR 1.1 For Cross-Platform AR/VR Development

Phoronix: Khronos Releases OpenXR 1.1 For Cross-Platform AR/VR Development

The Khronos Group on Monday released OpenXR 1.1 as the latest version of this industry standard for open, cross-platform development for virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and mixed reality (MR) devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Slightly relating to this, it is sad to see OpenHMD become unmaintained:

This project seems to be the only one doing succinct work getting HMDs to work on BSD/Linux.

It seems to suggest that the work has been picked up by Monado (OpenXR implementation for Linux) but I can't really see where this is done. Certainly not in such a simple way using a single library and libusb.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      Slightly relating to this, it is sad to see OpenHMD become unmaintained:

This project seems to be the only one doing succinct work getting HMDs to work on BSD/Linux.

It seems to suggest that the work has been picked up by Monado (OpenXR implementation for Linux) but I can't really see where this is done. Certainly not in such a simple way using a single library and libusb.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/monado/monado
      openmonado seems to build on openHMD and other things, as well as being a replacement for it

There are a few bits of the ecosystem that play together like open composite https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

Though I don't know the extent that openHMD is still needed.

Comment

I'm glad to see anyone outside of Apple is still working on AR/VR.

Comment

I feel like that ship has sailed again, maybe next time round - like 3D TVs

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            I feel like that ship has sailed again, maybe next time round - like 3D TVs
            I think VR still has a load of potential, adoption hasnt been great since we have either had really expensive HMDs, or oculus' crap tastic one if you don't want to go get their old ones used.

Comment

Every 15-20 years or so VR gets re-invented.... Maybe next time technology will be sufficient that it doesn't hurt. VR hurts, it's literally painful.... I'll wait for the next re-invention and I suspect most people feel the same way I do.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Every 15-20 years or so VR gets re-invented.... Maybe next time technology will be sufficient that it doesn't hurt. VR hurts, it's literally painful.... I'll wait for the next re-invention and I suspect most people feel the same way I do.
                What issues do you currently have with modern VR? I know some people get motion sick, but I havent heard of it being literally painful for anyone outside of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

What issues do you currently have with modern VR? I know some people get motion sick, but I havent heard of it being literally painful for anyone outside of that.
                  It's the headset, its too bulky and uncomfortable. It puts pressure on the bridge of my nose, it causes a bit of pain from the pressure. But the worse problem is the sinus congestion, I think that is directly related to eyestrain and maybe secondarily related to the bulky headset. I know they make different strap configurations for it and even counterweights taht should relieve some pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It's the headset, its too bulky and uncomfortable. It puts pressure on the bridge of my nose, it causes a bit of pain from the pressure. But the worse problem is the sinus congestion, I think that is directly related to eyestrain and maybe secondarily related to the bulky headset. I know they make different strap configurations for it and even counterweights taht should relieve some pressure.
                    Interesting, It seems like a lighter headset might work for you. Not that I am in, any way recommending this as a solution, but have you ever tried google cardboard? I wonder if something with much less weight would help.

Comment

Working...
                    X