Khronos Releases OpenXR 1.1 For Cross-Platform AR/VR Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Every 15-20 years or so VR gets re-invented....
    It doesn't get reinvented, so much as I think a new round of products comes along by people who want to see how much it's been improved by technology developments in the interim. I'm also not sure about that period. I don't know exactly what the right figure would be, however.

I'm glad to see Apple finally released something and Sony followed through on PS VR2, though I haven't tried either. Were it not for them, we could probably say VR is well and truly now in the "bust" part of the cycle.

IMO, AR is the more difficult and potentially transformative technology. Before MS Hololens, I think we hadn't seen even a single, credible attempt at AR. Apple's product is at least a whole generation beyond that and I think truly showcases the technology's potential. If they (or someone) can make tech of that caliber much smaller and less obtrusive, then it could have some real staying power.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      It doesn't get reinvented, so much as I think a new round of products comes along by people who want to see how much it's been improved by technology developments in the interim. I'm also not sure about that period. I don't know exactly what the right figure would be, however.

I'm glad to see Apple finally released something and Sony followed through on PS VR2, though I haven't tried either. Were it not for them, we could probably say VR is well and truly now in the "bust" part of the cycle.

IMO, AR is the more difficult and potentially transformative technology. Before MS Hololens, I think we hadn't seen even a single, credible attempt at AR. Apple's product is at least a whole generation beyond that and I think truly showcases the technology's potential. If they (or someone) can make tech of that caliber much smaller and less obtrusive, then it could have some real staying power.
      There have been a couple in the DIY space that was promissing a long time ago, but it was more in the realm of a HUD then real AR

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        There have been a couple in the DIY space that was promissing a long time ago, but it was more in the realm of a HUD then real AR
        I don't consider HUD glasses to be AR, at all. It's just bad marketing that seems to have muddled the distinction. Augmented Reality clearly means there must be synthetic elements seeming to interact with the real world, similar to how Virtual Reality consists of an entirely synthetic world.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          I don't consider HUD glasses to be AR, at all. It's just bad marketing that seems to have muddled the distinction. Augmented Reality clearly means there must be synthetic elements seeming to interact with the real world, similar to how Virtual Reality consists of an entirely synthetic world.
          I disagree with that assessment personally. augmented itself would mean to add something to it, which is what HUD displays can do.

Comment

Working...
          X