Fedora 42 Change Proposal Wants To Make KDE Plasma The Default Over GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    It's a nice joke but Fedora is Gnome, period.
    It was written on April 1, but the announcement was made on April 2: https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.ph...action=history

Pretty strange for an April Fool's joke to be officially announced the day after April Fool's, don't you think?

Comment

Oh, and by the way: Plasma is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Gnome!!!

(Yep!!! just throwing in some gasoline into the fire hum hum hum ah ahahahhahahahaah )

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

We already have Windows, we don't need another Windows wannabe that implements poor design choices.
        Well... we could also say: We already have macOS we don't need another macOS wannabe that implements better (than macOS) design choices!!!

yeah... now jokes apart - seriously - i see gnome as a macOS copy as much as plasma is a windows shell copy...

However, i do also think that Plasma is better that windows, as well as gnome is indeed better than macOS.

Now, Plasma VS GNOME... come'on... i know everyone loves a good old flame war... but neither is better!!! They're just different and each has strong points!!! I love plasma because i want to configure everything. But Gnome on the other way is way simpler (and has a lot of other strong features).

Can we all stop the "mine is bigger"?! ahahahah

I would indeed prefer fedora would just ship both (and neither pre-selected) on their "Workstation"...

Comment

A man can dream, but yes, gnome bullshit attitude needs to be adjusted and this is one way.

You (gnome devs) dont like desktop icons? Fine, but dont force that shit on me.

You like a stupid hidden dock that only shows after clicking on “Activities”? Fine, but dont force that shit on me.

I can go on and on but you all know the drill.

i truly hope this switch does happen.
          Last edited by NeoMorpheus; 02 April 2024, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
            A man can dream, but yes, gnome bullcrap attitude needs to be adjusted and this is one way.

You (gnome devs) dont like desktop icons? Fine, but dont force that crap on me.

You like a stupid hidden dock that only shows after clicking on “Activities”? Fine, but dont force that crap on me.

I can go on and on but you all know the drill.

i truly hope this switch does happen.
            I'm sorry. I don't like Gnome and in fact I'm using Fedora MATE, but would you be so kind as to explain me who's forcing what on you and how exactly? Because I can't see it!

Comment

I think it's a great idea, the most insecure Linux distro should be using the buggiest, most insecure Linux DE.

I can't wait until people running Fedora 42 with KDE post on this forum ragging about Windows security while simultaneously claiming that i hacked their computer when they get a number of computer viruses that deleted their personal data.

I see no reason to wait, i say they do this immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                I think it's a great idea, the most insecure Linux distro should be using the buggiest, most insecure Linux DE.

I can't wait until people running Fedora 42 with KDE post on this forum ragging about Windows security while simultaneously claiming that i hacked their computer when they get a number of computer viruses that deleted their personal data.

I see no reason to wait, i say they do this immediately.
                ... in your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  > There are several upcoming protocols being driven by KDE as well, such as:
                  > - alpha-modifier (set alpha values for a surface)
                  > - ext-blur (enable blur effect underneath a surface)
                  > ...
                  > KDE Plasma offers the most advanced Wayland desktop experience today, providing support for highly-demanded features
                  > ...
                  > - Color management

Oh my, nice trolling. Come back when you figured out *that* combination. Shipping half-backed solutions that only cover one use case or the other might be nice for early adopters to play around - creating proper solutions takes some more effort.

Edit: in any case, it's nice that KDE is now a serious player in the Wayland game. That should make things better for everyone.

Edit2: IMO the irony here is that they picked Fedora and not, say, Ubuntu. It's the one distro that - IMO - aligns most with the Gnome philosophy of not rushing to ship semi-functional island solutions fast and instead focus on doing the heavy lifting to create solutions that work in the long-term.
                  KDE has a long history of having "more features" than Gnome - and I can totally see why people like it - just like many distros offer "highly-demanded features" and "put the user in the center". Well, and then at some point the Fedora / Gnome solutions arrives and gets adopted by most.

*If* the proposal is actually serious, I think the authors should take another moment and reflect again *why* Fedora is what it is. And why KDE, with its different philosophy, might not be the best fit.
                  Just nonsense. It's total blabber... Gnome has a history of -NOT- developing desktop features at all... For the longest time Gnome 3 couldn't even -BE- a dektop....

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Nobody forced systemd or Wayland, Red Hat employees didn't force other distributions developers with guns to make them use systemd and Wayland. They are default (well, Wayland is not yet default but sooner or later it will be) because they are better solution to the previous defaults. Accept reality instead of claiming that people accepted solution you don't like because they were forced or something.
                    When exactly? When it's 30 years old? 40? Truth is Wayland will -NEVER- be feature complete. It isn't capable of it.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

All the points you mentioned are *deliberate* design decisions . You don't need to agree with them, in which case Gnome might not be for you. But they are *not* technical problems.

Color management in mixed environments is hard and the KDE implementation is obviously partial, mainly focused on "make Steam games work". Throwing in random transparency and blur makes it even harder. The authors of the proposal don't seem to be very aware of that
                      Except hardly anybody agrees with them!! They are WRONG!!!

EDIT: I really want to hear the fucking "convergence" argument again... Raise your hand if you run Gnome on a tablet or a phone... Nobody?! The only use that gnome has is -AS- a desktop!!!

EDIT: Convergence NEVER happened and it never will!!!
                      Last edited by duby229; 02 April 2024, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X