No announcement yet.

Sarah Sharp Steps Down As Linux Kernel Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an open and free project, and people should be allowed to act the way they wish to act within the confines of whatever law they adhere to.

Linux has stood the test of time and competition for decades now, no matter how the environment might be at times it's wholly unfair to treat it like some kind of Titanic heading towards an iceberg of acidic bile. That's not what's happening at all.

Making this about men and women, and shouting shit like "misogyny" is just disgusting, this has nothing to do with gender, women can be just as vile as men, at least the guys getting flak now (again) are exceptional contributors to one of the world's most important software projects around.
    Let them work the way they work best, Linus tolerates a lot of shit but he would never tolerate incompetence or acts detrimental to the project.

Comment

A lot of hilarious and SAD comments being posted here. I'm happy she's left and made it clear why she's left. People should know when a community as important as kernel development is a shitty place to work in for clear minorities like women.

Comment

IMHO: Linux walks a tight line, but has yet to cross it. Calling some code or design a piece of sh!t is not the same as calling its author a PoS.

Good developers can create terrible stuff and Bad developers can create wonderful stuff.

I've read a lot of Linux's rants and his harsh language is always directed at the work and not the person. Sometimes he uses allegories or metaphors to describe what sort of being might have created such terrible work, and this for me is where he starts skirting a fine line. Very occasionally his rant is directed directly towards a person (and no nvidia is not a person), but that person is usually someone who already has a relationship with Linus and the words are not so harsh, as what he's usually capable of.

Linus seems to be perfecting rants as an art form, and the problem seems to be those that copy him. They often lack Linus' tact and usually cross the line, which results in inappropriate behaviour. So in this regards Linux might want to think about the example he is setting, and realise that not everyone is as accomplished as he is.

I don't subscribe however to banning harsh language. That is like banning a tool (say a hammer) because it can be used to kill people. Tools can be used to hurt people and tools can be used to help people.

Believe it or not different people respond differently to different forms of communication. Just because one form of communication seems exclusionary to you, does not mean that others would not thing the same of you proposed form of communication. If your argument is that you don't care for those other people, then you're now on the other side of your own initial complaint.

There is no such thing as 'all inclusive', our existence is far too subjective. That does not mean that we should try to be considerate to others and attempt to make people feel welcome. However there are limits and where those limits lay is very subjective and usually decided by the 'mob'.

I remember attending a conference, that was to have a talk about certain aspects of social interaction in 'geek' communities. The talk was cancelled at the last minute because some worried that the talk would contain "trigger" words. (Words that trigger negative memories, such as of rape). So because of the sensitivities of the few, the rest of us were not even allowed to discuss the subject. [sarcasm] A very healthy end result [/sarcasm]

Comment

""Misogynist" is a pretty hefty charge, I don't think it's right to levy that charge without proof or logic to support it. I doubt there are any, or god forbid many, actual haters of women on this forum."
          seems like you haven't read any of the comments on this forum where she gets dismissed as a SJW, whiner etc. these posters are suffering the same lack of social skills that the community seems to suffer. Being assertive is not the same as being a verbally aggressive asshat as some people seem to think it is

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
            This kind of SJW crap needs to stop. Enough is enough. Pretty soon we won't be able to get anything done.
            Well. Perhaps you should just stop swearing and berating other people then!
            The time people like Linus waste on swearing is better utilised fixing and improving things.

Comment

It took a hell of a lot of digging, but it seems to have started with this thread, way back in 2013.Now, I'm all for professional communication, and emails can be easy to misinterpret, but this looks like a bit of an over-reaction. Someone commented that they send patches to Greg KH because Linus sc...

One persons banter between friends is another?s idea of abuse and violance.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
                http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.p...p;cid=50664697

One persons banter between friends is another?s idea of abuse and violance.
                Yea. Seen this one.

She definitely overreacted there (or perhaps she didn't and merely remembered her own experience, feeling this was a meeting of bullies joking about their past bullying).
                Of course, that doesn't change the fact that Linus wastes too much time on swearing and berating people.

I've seen it myself. Random people being attacked in an incredible harsh tone, rather than just pointing out the mistakes and reminding the person of code quality standards.

Personally, I'd rather maintainers use pre-written templates than wasting hours on a useless rant.

Comment

High quality posts here I see. And see, this is the problem - it seems man people have decided being rude and toxic is cool on Internet. "Calling things in right names", etc. nonsense. It is so easy to be just constructive and not to delve into shitty behavior. Yes, you can be negative about quality of code towards other person without going into sexist jokes or repeating tired memes. I have secret surprise to you - neither of those things has ever been funny. All they have to enforce feeling for you as sexual being, but such jokes are rather sad display if you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post
                    If you don't like criticism then don't do kernel development, it is necessary to be able to criticise people who submit bad code otherwise the kernal would be a complete mess.
                    Why do you feel it's necessary to criticize people to be able to block bad code from being submitted to the kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by laceration View Post
                      The femininization of the workplace and our culture with its emphasis on sharing, caring and respect marginalizes men unless they conform and become neutered pussies. We all know plenty of stay at home dads who have no place in the working world, while women are prospering.
                      Well, I'm a stay at home dad, but I won't take offense. I will say this, though, and it has nothing to do with Linux, or writing code; it is a lot more fun socializing with women than it is with men. A LOT more. And I don't mean hanky panky, either. Women are just a lot more fun to be around, for the most part. Some women aren't, but most are. When there are women in a group which includes men (i.e., not all women) the dynamics are better - healthier. They just are.

Comment

Working...
                      X