No announcement yet.

Sarah Sharp Steps Down As Linux Kernel Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only know very little about the case of Sarah Sharp. In general, there is a difference between criticism and being outright rude. At times that difference may be subtle, in the kernel developer community it is obvious that a line has been crossed multiple times. Some people are willing to deal with that (by not caring, by participating). Others are not. Good management has to try to bring and keep as many productive people on board, and make them work together well. In the end the performance of the whole project will depend on getting this right. This is why I am sure, that over time the Code of Conflict will evolve to become more explicit.

Comment

This kind of reminds me of the latest South Park episodes. I'm PC bro.

Comment

Respect is very important. I don't know the whole history, but it's true that Linus can be a douchebag.

Comment

In other words. I don't think anyone is criticizing to hurt other peoples feelings, rather i think it is to correct them.
          Doing the criticism isn't easy either. How do you deliver the message without hurting someone to much?
          And criticizing someone you rarely meet must be even more difficult.

Linus has to sit and go through all the patches, so he must feel trampled on, when someone delivers half finished work. He has to go through several patches and use tons of time, because people were lazy or didn't know how to do stuff right. If he doesn't vent these things in a timely manner, they build up inside and an then when he is about to go crazy, something like this happens. So in a way i agree that Linus shouldn't be to polite. In fact i think if he would just blog about these things in a polite manner, venting these things out slowly, i think it could be all avoided.

Comment

subtle sexist or homophobic jokes
            And that's why we can't have nice things.

Comment

Gotta admit, I am surprised at some of the comments here, although maybe I shouldn't be. This isn't the first time I have heard about the toxic community there, and specifically about Linus. Not even close to the first time, and not just from her. As for the criticism, she is not referring to someone criticising her work, but rather HER. Swearing, calling her t b---ch, etc, etc, etc. People here who are basically saying she "can't take the heat, and should get out" (liberal paraphrase) are missing the point I think. This isn't about her being a woman. It is about getting talented people to work on the kernel. Sure, its fine now I suppose. But stay like this and it will change. This is a sad thing to say.

The funny thing is, I almost didn't write this because I kind of assume someone here will in turn flame me now. Doesn't make any sense if you step back and think about it.

Comment

The femininization of the workplace and our culture with its emphasis on sharing, caring and respect marginalizes men unless they conform and become neutered pussies. We all know plenty of stay at home dads who have no place in the working world, while women are prospering. 200,000+ years of human history were different, but our brave new world knows better. Men and Women have different styles, and abilities. The idea should be that people are not confined by stereotypes, that a woman can be a programmer, but that there will never be as many women doing it is not because of sexism, it is just the nature of it. And it is natural that men will often not relate in the style of women with sensitivity. Linus and kernel devs, keep on kicking ass!

Comment

Originally posted by trethlyn View Post
                  Yikes, this really sucks. I'm not a Kernel Developer, so I want to hold back any judgement but this person is giving bad press about a community that should be accepting and open.
                  You presume something there. That she didn't come in and INSIST on things being done **HER** way. She did that, mind.

Comment

Funny how everyone thinks Linus is the only problem here, though, he likely is the main problem. I don't disagree with Sarah, on the other hand, people need to take what Linus says with a grain of salt. Linus is very well aware he's an asshole, he's proud of it, and he's intentionally like that. But, I don't see him as a legitimately bad person, he's just harshly critical and likes to vent. Steve Jobs was just as much of an asshole but he would never outwardly admit to that. The only reason people still worked for him was because of the money. People continue to "work for Linus" because I get the impression they are aware of his behavior, so whenever he says something crude it's like "oh Linus! *cue laugh track in the background*".

I personally appreciate Sarah's work and look forward to anything else she contributes to. But, backing down from kernel development because of mean people is hurting her objective of empowering women in linux and/or software development, because even if she meant "I won't tolerate this", it can be portrayed as "I can't handle this".

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                      I seriously don't see the issues she is complaining about in a meaningful way. Sure there are conflicts and harsh words sometimes, but it isn't anything out of the ordinary. It's just the standard heated discussion among people that are passionate about their work. She must be incredibly fragile if she cannot handle this. IOW not actually capable of living in the real world.

It isn't actually there. As microcode opines, the odds are good, based on observation, this is a "Social Justice Warrior" that waded in trying to "fix" the Kernel development process, by bluntly put, trying to feminize it, claiming it was "Civility"- which got all sorts of pushback because it was rubbish to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                      X