X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that one of these big tubs?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      Winter's coming. It's Autumn down here and the gauge is sitting at a cool 25 degree's* right now. Mmm, mild. Would be nice to be able to run the laptop like it should be, mobile. Bloody thing keeps shutting down when I get my game on in public.

*celsius, you non-metric Apes
      Isn't Kelvin the metric unit?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        hes home alone

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Is that one of these big tubs?
          Yep, although not that big. It's 6' across, but the wood stove takes some of the space so room for 3-4 people. The water was a mite chilly last night (this was before lighting a fire) :

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            I believe kelvins and degrees Celsius are both SI units, but kelvins are a base unit and degrees Celsius are a derived unit...

.. so they're both metric but kelvins are *more* metric
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I believe kelvins and degrees Celsius are both SI units, but kelvins are a base unit and degrees Celsius are a derived unit...

.. so they're both metric but kelvins are *more* metric
              I thought the only difference was that 0 degrees kelvin is absolute 0, where 0 degrees celsius is freezing point of water? Otherwise it's exactly the same metric.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                I thought the only difference was that 0 degrees kelvin is absolute 0, where 0 degrees celsius is freezing point of water? Otherwise it's exactly the same metric.
                Pretty much. Celsius is 0? at the water melting point and 100? at the boiling point, Kelvin has the same slope but 0K is absolute Zero.

Comment

Agree the only "practical" difference is reference point (absolute zero vs freezing point of water) but in SI-speak kelvins are the base unit and degrees Celsius are derived units:

As of August 16, 2023 the physics.nist.gov historic SI Units site has permanently retired.

Chapter 2 of the "brochure" is the official reference, I guess:

Last edited by bridgman; 23 March 2015, 08:20 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X