Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux Milestones That Didn't Make It This Winter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Linux Milestones That Didn't Make It This Winter

    Phoronix: The Linux Milestones That Didn't Make It This Winter

    While this winter brought many exciting milestones for Linux and open-source fans, there's also some milestones/features hoped for this winter that haven't yet come to fruition...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...r-2014-Missing

  • #2
    something good for linux as an OS, that is in the works and never mentioned

    Comment


    • #3
      Winter was cold, one thing for sure - summer will be hot

      Comment


      • #4
        The Nouveau re-clocking support is still in bad shape for the open-source NVIDIA DRM driver. Modern desktop NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards can't properly re-clock to hit their targeted frequencies and thus the performance tends to be a mess. There's been progress in re-clocking various generations of NVIDIA GPUs via this reverse-engineered driver, but for most Nouveau users out there the re-clocking isn't yet usable. Nouveau at the reduced clock speeds can tend to be "good enough" for running a modern Linux desktop, but any gaming tends to be rather slow.
        I have a Fermi card, and as I switched to Nouveau recently, would really like to see work on at least having power state 1 reclocking (it'd be enough for me). I heard fan control is mostly done, so that's not a problem.

        Comment


        • #5
          Considering that I have an NV50 era card, I'd really like to see full reclocking and dynamic power management in nouvou. I kinda wish that they focused their NV50 efforts on that rather than new features that don't exist in NV50's proprietary drivers. If I had full reclocking and DPM, I might be able to dump the proprietary drivers without making most of my games unplayable.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Winter was cold, one thing for sure - summer will be hot
            We had a pretty mild Winter thus far in Finland. I somewhat suspect this will not mean Summer will be cool but instead a total inferno

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              We had a pretty mild Winter thus far in Finland. I somewhat suspect this will not mean Summer will be cool but instead a total inferno
              Winter's coming. It's Autumn down here and the gauge is sitting at a cool 25 degree's* right now. Mmm, mild. Would be nice to be able to run the laptop like it should be, mobile. Bloody thing keeps shutting down when I get my game on in public.

              *celsius, you non-metric Apes
              Hi

              Comment


              • #8
                What exactly would the KMS implementation in Nvidia driver change for the end user?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  Winter's coming. It's Autumn down here and the gauge is sitting at a cool 25 degree's* right now. Mmm, mild. Would be nice to be able to run the laptop like it should be, mobile. Bloody thing keeps shutting down when I get my game on in public.

                  *celsius, you non-metric Apes
                  OT: Yeah, I hear 25c and spend a minute or more trying to remember the conversion.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    First day of spring in the Great White North. Don't think we've reached 25C yet.

                    Test signature

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X