Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Milestones That Didn't Make It This Winter

Phoronix: The Linux Milestones That Didn't Make It This Winter

While this winter brought many exciting milestones for Linux and open-source fans, there's also some milestones/features hoped for this winter that haven't yet come to fruition...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...r-2014-Missing

something good for linux as an OS, that is in the works and never mentioned

Comment

Winter was cold, one thing for sure - summer will be hot

Comment

The Nouveau re-clocking support is still in bad shape for the open-source NVIDIA DRM driver. Modern desktop NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards can't properly re-clock to hit their targeted frequencies and thus the performance tends to be a mess. There's been progress in re-clocking various generations of NVIDIA GPUs via this reverse-engineered driver, but for most Nouveau users out there the re-clocking isn't yet usable. Nouveau at the reduced clock speeds can tend to be "good enough" for running a modern Linux desktop, but any gaming tends to be rather slow.
        I have a Fermi card, and as I switched to Nouveau recently, would really like to see work on at least having power state 1 reclocking (it'd be enough for me). I heard fan control is mostly done, so that's not a problem.

Comment

Considering that I have an NV50 era card, I'd really like to see full reclocking and dynamic power management in nouvou. I kinda wish that they focused their NV50 efforts on that rather than new features that don't exist in NV50's proprietary drivers. If I had full reclocking and DPM, I might be able to dump the proprietary drivers without making most of my games unplayable.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Winter was cold, one thing for sure - summer will be hot
            We had a pretty mild Winter thus far in Finland. I somewhat suspect this will not mean Summer will be cool but instead a total inferno

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              We had a pretty mild Winter thus far in Finland. I somewhat suspect this will not mean Summer will be cool but instead a total inferno
              Winter's coming. It's Autumn down here and the gauge is sitting at a cool 25 degree's* right now. Mmm, mild. Would be nice to be able to run the laptop like it should be, mobile. Bloody thing keeps shutting down when I get my game on in public.

*celsius, you non-metric Apes
              Hi

Comment

What exactly would the KMS implementation in Nvidia driver change for the end user?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  Winter's coming. It's Autumn down here and the gauge is sitting at a cool 25 degree's* right now. Mmm, mild. Would be nice to be able to run the laptop like it should be, mobile. Bloody thing keeps shutting down when I get my game on in public.

*celsius, you non-metric Apes
                  OT: Yeah, I hear 25c and spend a minute or more trying to remember the conversion.

Comment

First day of spring in the Great White North. Don't think we've reached 25C yet.

Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X