No announcement yet.

Three Things That Annoy Me With Using GNOME 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a particularly big fan of GNOME 3.14 in its default configuration though it seems fairly polished at this point; however, installing and configuring the dash to dock and alternate tab extensions and the gnome-terminal-nautilus package makes all the difference for me in terms of usability and utility.

In particular, it is possible to configure the dash to dock extension to make GNOME 3 behave superficially like Unity (pinned favourites menu always visible, app menu button in fixed position at the top of the menu), potentially making it easier to switch back and forth between the two.

Just goes to show how important it is to have some sort of extension mechanism when one size clearly doesn't fit all... =)

FWIW, I also use GNOME 3 on my HTPC -- being able to ctrl+alt+<downarrow/uparrow> to switch between Kodi in full-screen and a polished desktop (courtesy of both using OpenGL) with large, easy to hit GUI elements and easy to read text (courtesy the accessibility setting that zooms text by a factor 1.25) is very useful, particularly seeing as I use a small Logitech K400 wireless keyboard with a trackpad.

Comment

Notification and tray icons.

I like Gnome 3 in general.

Only thing that i don't like is the tray icons and the notification system. Why couldn't it be like it was? why this strange menu in the bottom? But that is the only thing.

I like the way they have optimized the screen real estate, by removing the quick launch bar to the corner action thingey.
      And i like the responsiveness.

Comment

I used to think that Mac OS was a usable system, then I started using it for work..... now I realise that the idea of application focus and single tasking is retarded and silly in an IT environment. Yes an office worker might get away with it, a student studying an assignment will if they're writing an essay. But when you need three screens and need to switch between a browser, multiple terminal windows, a ticketing system, and a CRM it becomes a nightmare to manage under OSX. We urgently need a new desktop system that moves beyond osx and Microsoft Windows. Gnome trying to be OSX is not that system. Gnome itself has had some great tools in the past. It's sad how bad it's gotten between Wheezy and Jessie.

Comment

There are two things that need to be worked on.

1. The notification system. It requires you to install TopIcons extension, because otherwise it will hide important icons for you which give you status updates and let you interact with them like Dropbox etc.

2. We should not have to individually whitelist extensions or turn shell version checking off globally, because 99,9% of the old extensions just work on the new Shell version but they never get their metadata updated. This means you have to edit a bunch of metadata.json files or disable version checking. The problem is if you do enable one that isn't compatible it will bork your entire configuration and reset everything to stock with no extensions at all.

The rest is fine.

Gnome 4 should be a VR desktop like this wayland compositor:
          This is a demo of the software I developed for my master's thesis. It is an open source Oculus Rift/Razer Hydra enabled Wayland compositor with support for n...

Comment

I'm using kde 4.14
            I don't mind gnome, but I consider Cinnamon, trinity and a future Kde 4 code clone & rename projects a waste of time.
            I like the way gnome is using the windows decoration. It's nicer. I think they can move the file, edit, view menus in the decoration window, just like Opera does, for every gtk/qt program. They could also make the windows move when clicking on empty areas of the windows, just like dolphin does. This would be useful on laptops, because the window decoration would disappear. Having a window decoration for displaying only the title name and the minimize/close bottoms is a waste of horizontal pixels.
            I like it simple, I always use the autohide options on the panels and no icons on the desktop, because I know how my desktop would look like.

Comment

A reworked notification system is supposed to be in gnome 3.16
              I think Michael had a article about it?

Comment

I would like it to be reliable

Yeah, you get a contextual menu when you mouse down with righ-click and a left-click when you mouse up within same menu, it's impressive how often it gives you a "magical click by itself" on some menu item, and at my view is a design flaw, you can't trust the right-click, all times is a russian roulette, frequently the first menu item under cursor will be "clicked" unintentionally, I haven't checked it, but I think that this behavior is implemented via GTK (design decision) to all GTK-based apps, anyway it makes me want cry when I right click some Firefox page link to copy it and a new tab is opened.

Comment

As for renaming a file, isn't there an extension that let's you click in the file once and then click it again so that you can rename the file? Not the icon, but the name. It's very similar to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by plasmasnake View Post
                    I also find the topbar sort of weird. Other than displaying the time and system tray icons, it seems virtually useless. I haven't spent much time playing around with Gnome 3, but I find it weird that the only other thing the topbar does is display the name of the application that you're currently using - isn't that redundant and basically useless? I think if you're going to have a topbar, you might as well do something useful with it, like a global menu the way that Unity does (or think of some other useful function).

You'll discover the top bar very useful, with the right extensions.

Comment

The absence of desktop icons is a good thing... reduces clutter, and discourages me from just dumping everything into one unstructured folder. I've disabled it under Gnome 2 on the old CentOS 5 machine I use at work, after getting used to it under Gnome 3...

Comment

Working...
                      X