Three Things That Annoy Me With Using GNOME 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
    Gnome 3 sucks in sooo many ways... But it is still most working, complete and beatiful DE for Linux.
    XFCE is good but it is pretty old and just ugly, also last development is very very slow. LXDE is mostly the same as XFCE but it is much worse in some aspects. LXQt not yet complete. KDE it is to heavy. Mate still doesn't have GTk3 support. Cinnamon is much slower than Gnome3. So it's bad. We only have ONE usable desktop, and even this one desktop sucks in sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many ways.
    Recently I have discovered that Lumina desktop is usable in some sort of way but it is not complete(complete lack of energy saving configuration).
    Install a good GTK+ theme and a good icon set for XFCE and you're set.

I recommend the Albatross theme by the Shimmer Project, however you will need a patch the CSS for GTK+ 3 if I remember correctly.

I find both GNOME and KDE bloated, however they are perfectly usable if you are willing to put up with bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelSerious View Post
      #1 I don't like desktop icons at all, but you can add them back easily as you stated.
      Nobody forces you to add them, but majority of people do have icons on their desktops.

#3 Never really bothered me. I think most DEs have Set as Wallpaper on RMC?
      This option shouldn't be placed next to common operation like rename.

Comment

Gnome 3 sucks in sooo many ways... But it is still most working, complete and beatiful DE for Linux.
        XFCE is good but it is pretty old and just ugly, also last development is very very slow. LXDE is mostly the same as XFCE but it is much worse in some aspects. LXQt not yet complete. KDE it is to heavy. Mate still doesn't have GTk3 support. Cinnamon is much slower than Gnome3. So it's bad. We only have ONE usable desktop, and even this one desktop sucks in sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many ways.
        Recently I have discovered that Lumina desktop is usable in some sort of way but it is not complete(complete lack of energy saving configuration).
        It seems most people won't agree with you. There are many polls showing KDE is more popular. It's also much better in probably every way than gnome (imo).

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          It seems most people won't agree with you. There are many polls showing KDE is more popular. It's also much better in probably every way than gnome (imo).
          Gnome and KDE is like comparing apples and hand grenades.
          Both are based on completely different design philosophies.

On on hand you have KDE which aims to be as complete and configurable as possible out of the box.

On the Other hand is Gnome which aims to be as simple as possible out of the box, but is designed to compensate with extension support.

And Gnome 3 is getting really close to KDE adoption wise. One poll actually had Gnome 3 ahead of KDE.

Saying KDE is much better than Gnome 3 in every way is nothing more than blind bias. I have both KDE5 and Gnome 3 installed and I like both. Currently IMO Gnome 3 is better and improving at a faster pace. You should reevaluate Gnome 3.14 before making outdated comparative statements. There are a whole lot of people changing their minds on the viability of Gnome 3 as a great desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            Gnome and KDE is like comparing apples and hand grenades.
            Both are based on completely different design philosophies.
            True, but both are Linux desktop environments.

On the Other hand is Gnome which aims to be as simple as possible out of the box, but is designed to compensate with extension support.
            If it demands to install additional extensions from its users it's not more simple than other desktop environments.

Saying KDE is much better than Gnome 3 in every way is nothing more than blind bias. I have both KDE5 and Gnome 3 installed and I like both. Currently IMO Gnome 3 is better and improving at a faster pace. You should reevaluate Gnome 3.14 before making outdated comparative statements. There are a whole lot of people changing their minds on the viability of Gnome 3 as a great desktop.
            Why? It was my opinion. The only thing I find better in Gnome is the way you apply changes. Gnome3 and its applications are ways behind KDE, so you shouldn't be saying it improves faster. More proper word is 'it catches up'.

Comment

Sorry it is not Lumina Desktop, it is Budgie.
              Why I can't edit my post?
              The next Deepin DE might be very good if they add the features people are complaining about. If they follow the same pattern from 2013-2014 it will be more customizable and full featured.

Comment

If it demands to install additional extensions from its users it's not more simple than other desktop environments.
                Luckily, GNOME3 does not require any extensions to be usable.
                I change only two things from the default (date/weekday in top bar, and week days in calendar), and have a single extension active (caffeine).
                Neither of the three are in any way essential to me.

Comment

That is specifically why I said "out of the box". IMO grabbing your extensions is simpler than setting up KDE for the simple fact that you can do it all from GTT. But that's all down to user preference.

Gnome3 and its applications are ways behind KDE, so you shouldn't be saying it improves faster. More proper word is 'it catches up'.
                  I don't know. It seems the addon authors are following Gnome's HID very closely. So far in 3.14 the addons have been pretty solid. I have always found KDE to be a bit buggy, but in light of possible user error I will agree to "catching up".

Comment

I am a happy user of Gnome 3 for 2 years. In the beginning I was searching for windows-like "features" that were desktop icons, running application list in taskbar, window menus, etc..
                    But after 3-4 months I've seen the advantage of not having desktop icons, but a responsive search screen. "SuperKey" and start typing your application and it shows up.
                    Switching between applications is similar "SuperKey" and click your window. If you have multiple screens, then you see a thumbnail on each screen with applications running on it... And they are dynamic so you can just check if your server is back online after reboot (starts responding to ping) or there are new messages in your corporate mailbox, without actually switching to the window.

Things I don't like:
                    #1 We need tray icons!!!!
                    - or a proper notification framework. I cannot understand why hidden "message bar" can be useful)
                    - Many Thanks to the person wrote about TopIcons above. It is very practical and helps with Skype.

#2 Application menu is next to activities. This is far from what you are controlling. Having it on window top-left is much more intuitive

#3 Memory footprint is very high
                    - gnome-shell is at least 400 MiB, but then you can additional modules
                    - this causes problems if you run a VM (probably you need Windows for Visio or proper Office) and you start swapping

#4 you cannot enter a path in Files, but have to Ctrl+L (or go over menu button)

#5 no application Categories shown. Apps are very unstructured.
                    - not a problem if you know what you are looking for
                    - I use an extension "Application Menu" which replaces default "Activities overview" action with a list of application categories. You can still search with "SuperKey".
                    - It will be much better if you have two buttons in Activities overview - "Categories" and "Show All applications".
                    - This probably comes from Andorid/iOS nonsence of having all apps in one list. My dauther has like 200 games installed, so try finding the "Settings" icon (because they are unsorted).

#6 there are probably more, but in general I like Gnome 3 a lot.

Comment

I'm actually quite baffled that someone who publishes so much linux content and who uses linux as their primary OS could use Gnome as their default desktop environment. I've been using KDE for ages and a couple of months ago thought I would try Gnome out again (version 3.14). The thousands of small issues snowballed into a massive headache, but I forced myself to continue using Gnome for at least a month to give it its fair due. After a month I STILL couldn't get used to making all these little compromises and went immediately back to KDE. I'm pretty sure I'm not ever going back to Gnome. And now amount of visual fanciness is going to save that DE from its horrible crappiness.

Comment

Working...
                      X