Three Things That Annoy Me With Using GNOME 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
    I'm actually quite baffled that someone who publishes so much linux content and who uses linux as their primary OS could use Gnome as their default desktop environment.
    Baffled? Why? It's one of the most common (~= "popular") desktop environments used by a lot of people. So why would that be strange?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      As for renaming a file, isn't there an extension that let's you click in the file once and then click it again so that you can rename the file? Not the icon, but the name. It's very similar to Windows.
      What kind of savage doesn't use F2 to rename, anyway?

I'm actually quite baffled that someone who publishes so much linux content and who uses linux as their primary OS could use Gnome as their default desktop environment. I've been using KDE for ages and a couple of months ago thought I would try Gnome out again (version 3.14). The thousands of small issues snowballed into a massive headache, but I forced myself to continue using Gnome for at least a month to give it its fair due. After a month I STILL couldn't get used to making all these little compromises and went immediately back to KDE. I'm pretty sure I'm not ever going back to Gnome. And now amount of visual fanciness is going to save that DE from its horrible crappiness.
      You could probably compile a list of issues and we would be able to find a good solution to most of them, but at the end of the day you just seem to be making personal preference into a vendetta against GNOME.
      Saying "I don't like X" is a ridiculous venture, it helps no-one, least of all yourself. Add ", because Y+Z" and at least you're being somewhat constructive.
      TL;DR: Wow, such anger.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
        You could probably compile a list of issues and we would be able to find a good solution to most of them, but at the end of the day you just seem to be making personal preference into a vendetta against GNOME.
        Saying "I don't like X" is a ridiculous venture, it helps no-one, least of all yourself. Add ", because Y+Z" and at least you're being somewhat constructive.
        TL;DR: Wow, such anger.
        That's the same as saying I used KDE4 or Unity when it first came out and its the biggest POS I'v ever seen....uh ya they were pretty bad when they first came out. WTF does that have to do with today?

Most of these haters used G3 in it's infancy or are genuinely stupid and unable to tweak their OS.

Comment

I'm actually quite baffled that someone who publishes so much linux content and who uses linux as their primary OS could use Gnome as their default desktop environment. I've been using KDE for ages and a couple of months ago thought I would try Gnome out again (version 3.14). The thousands of small issues snowballed into a massive headache, but I forced myself to continue using Gnome for at least a month to give it its fair due. After a month I STILL couldn't get used to making all these little compromises and went immediately back to KDE. I'm pretty sure I'm not ever going back to Gnome. And now amount of visual fanciness is going to save that DE from its horrible crappiness.
          I do software development for a living and Gnome 3 is my DE of choice. I am quite productive in it and I like it. I do understand some people prefer and/or are more productive in other DEs, but I am not 'baffled' by that. It probably has to do with their workflow and interaction habits.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            That's the same as saying I used KDE4 or Unity when it first came out and its the biggest POS I'v ever seen....uh ya they were pretty bad when they first came out. WTF does that have to do with today?

Most of these haters used G3 in it's infancy or are genuinely stupid and unable to tweak their OS.
            You either worded yourself very poorly, or you're going off at me for a reason I don't get, I'm guessing the first...

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
              You either worded yourself very poorly, or you're going off at me for a reason I don't get, I'm guessing the first...
              Woah You'r kinda right. That was in no way directed at you. I am agreeing in an admittedly messed up way.

Comment

Originally posted by plasmasnake View Post
                I also find the topbar sort of weird. Other than displaying the time and system tray icons, it seems virtually useless. I haven't spent much time playing around with Gnome 3, but I find it weird that the only other thing the topbar does is display the name of the application that you're currently using - isn't that redundant and basically useless? I think if you're going to have a topbar, you might as well do something useful with it, like a global menu the way that Unity does (or think of some other useful function).
                It is actually used for something, at least some Gnome Apps like the Terminal has a menu up there. This is where you have to go to configure new terminals appearing as tabs instead of windows. It took a while before I realized, I first thought the apps were just dumbed down.

This is back to Mac (and AmigaDOS) behavior I guess...

Comment

Due to licensing issues Fedora doesn't ship proper font support. It's just hideous! Moving from an official release to rawhide is another problem. I would get locks when rebooting to perform updates.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post

Or they have used a Linux desktop long enough, in my case 20 years, to not want to put up with G3's continuous removal of needed features like this nautilus bug which just got closed out today as WONTFIX. No amount of extension support will fix that brain damage either.

I don't use G3 due to the countless issues like the one above and that G3 has also gutted usable multihead support.
                    Last edited by calc; 16 February 2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I have been a Gnome2 user and Gnome3 hater for many years, but last year I tried Gnome3 again (in a fresh Debian testing) and was simply blown away - it is now the best desktop environment in existence. The way you have separate virtual desktops for each monitor just makes life much more convenient. OpenGL apps that always work perfectly. Search that is actually useful and works. Notifications that you don't disappear into the void. Sure there are some niggles, but after a few months with Gnome3 I tried using Gnome2 or XFWM or Unity again and I was just stunned and how annoying those environments were after getting used to Gnome3 workflow.

Comment

Working...
                      X