Don't Want systemd? Try GNU Hurd, But It Still Lacks 64-bit, Audio & USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Hey I can't say I always feel good about giving up on old hardware. I've even fixed a feature phone that probably wasn't worth the solder required to tack the power adapter back in place. However with technology that only goes so far.

I once had an 8086 based system, nice and all but if I had kept that around I would have missed out on much in the technology world. With LINUX the story is much the same, if I had tried to stay with the first LINUX distros I started with and never kept up with technology, I would have missed out on much that has happened over the years. Frankly there have been substantial changes over those years so it isn't like SystemD is unique here.

So what is next here, crying over Wayland/Weston. Or maybe we need to rehash the angst over HTML in mail, after all if text based mail was good enough why try to improve it.
    Which is exactly why it makes sense that some folks wouldn't want to choose systemd as their overlord.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Don't Want systemd? Try GNU Hurd, But It Still Lacks 64-bit, Audio & USB
      Sorry, but the title kinda sounds like it's suggesting that systemD(eath) is GNU/Linux... My system speak otherwise!

Comment

So what is next here, crying over Wayland/Weston. Or maybe we need to rehash the angst over HTML in mail, after all if text based mail was good enough why try to improve it.
        Oh dear, your craziness has no bounds.

Comment

So, back on topic...

The take-away from the talk is that in Hurd, the kernel is doing as little as possible, so subsystems like filesystems just run in userland (like normal software) and as non-root user. They're much easier to debug and safer to develop there. You can do fancy things for free and without needing root access, like mount an .iso within your home directory, which is really on a remote FTP server accessed via OpenVPN and enable all that yourself. Things like containers can be obviously implemented as a sub-Hurd, where something like the process namespaces is implemented by the child process you spawn.

This makes it a very interesting thing to develop (watching the talk has possibly persuaded me to have a go), but things you might take for granted like modern KMS video drivers haven't been written for you yet by someone else. That it can run a basic graphical desktop and modern web browser already, is fortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by toguro123 View Post
            When a stable release of a system with the GNU kernel comes out what are we going to call it? A Linux distro with the GNU kernel?
            No. We'll call it gnu, here is proper pronunciation for that.

Shove that up your guh-noam.

Comment

Think!

Many silly thoughts seen here. If GNU Hurd is a great idea, why the world is not full of its crop? If systemd is a wrong idea, why distros development has adopt it as a perspective init (more than init) with no serious functional problem? If the world tends to be more complex, why still use a flint? Any complaints with systemd should be addressed only to its developers or you may vote for more simple world. Howgh!

Comment

What I find terrible wrong is that I continue to hear lots of whining about SystemD
                it is spelled without capital letters ffs

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
                  Well I pretty sure than you are fanboy of some corporation
                  i'm pretty sure you are fanboy of stone age
                  you can return to your cave and enjoy corporationless life.
                  and stop using computer right now - it was made by corporation

Comment

Click bait title

I suppose Michael sees a lot of clicks on articles about systemd

So he decided to throw "systemd" in the title of an article about hurd that has absolutely nothing to do with systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
                      They're much easier to debug and safer to develop there.
                      it is demonstratably untrue for software which can't support usb in 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X