Don't Want systemd? Try GNU Hurd, But It Still Lacks 64-bit, Audio & USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNU System.

I think once GNU Hurd is ready for prime they should just call it the GNU system. Since that is what it will basically be. I'm more interested in what they will adopt as the official GNU Desktop environment. I wish they would get GNUstep up to having a working web-browser and system preferences tools for configuring hardware. The rest of the desktop environment is basically there. You can get a mac style horizontal menu, or menus in windows styles, it has a filemanager/IRC/Text editor/code editor/terminal/mplayer gui/music player gui. Most of the stuff that makes it useful as a desktop. Just needs a bit of polish to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
      Where is the real duby....you do know that RHEL 7 switched to systemd right?

Michael plz check his IP
      I'm afraid something is terribly wrong.
      I may not agree with their choices in software, but as a company I really like what they do.

Comment

Yep, so what is your point?
        Michael plz check his IP
        What I find terrible wrong is that I continue to hear lots of whining about SystemD but no one has given a rational example of what is wrong with it. What I've seen instead is people complaining that it is new and confuses me to which I have to say pull on your big boy pants and educate yourself.

Comment

Michael plz check his IP
          Red Hat did switch to systemd, but I can bet they wont use any of the networkd or gummiboot silliness. They support NetworkManager and GRUB

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Yep, so what is your point?

What I find terrible wrong is that I continue to hear lots of whining about SystemD but no one has given a rational example of what is wrong with it. What I've seen instead is people complaining that it is new and confuses me to which I have to say pull on your big boy pants and educate yourself.
            As long as you can keep pulling on your own big boy pants everyday. Nobody wants to hear about a naked wizard contorted into 69. Just keep pulling on your own pants. That's all we ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
              I think once GNU Hurd is ready for prime they should just call it the GNU system. Since that is what it will basically be. I'm more interested in what they will adopt as the official GNU Desktop environment. I wish they would get GNUstep up to having a working web-browser and system preferences tools for configuring hardware. The rest of the desktop environment is basically there. You can get a mac style horizontal menu, or menus in windows styles, it has a filemanager/IRC/Text editor/code editor/terminal/mplayer gui/music player gui. Most of the stuff that makes it useful as a desktop. Just needs a bit of polish to get it right.
              Hurd is preparing to be ready for prime time for about 20 years now, not much has changed probably because Linux took off (afaik they still use linux kernel for handling hardware but I might be wrong).
              If you don't want systemd, then don't use it (if you want udev, you can use gentoo udev fork). I think that phoronix lately uses keyword 'systemd' to bait more readers into reading articles :-]

While this is doom of Linux, I don't think that GNU (or anyone else) should dictate you which DE/whatever you should use (or "endorse usage").

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                really sorry that modernization gets you all wound up. As such I might suggest that you look into FreeDOS for your operating system needs.
                Well I pretty sure than you are fanboy of some corporation, people like you like to justify privacy invading practices just to have a new feature, is the same people which call crazy people like Stallman and other activist trying to defend your freedom. But wherever, is not like do you really care about that. Embrace the "Modernization", So you say than people not working for Coorporation does not have the enought intelligence to make improvement in orden of Modernization? You are just a fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
                  Red Hat did switch to systemd, but I can bet they wont use any of the networkd or gummiboot silliness. They support NetworkManager and GRUB
                  Actually, for static networks networkd is far superior, it's much much faster (dhcp is squared in less than a second once the link is established).
                  You will still likely want to use wpa_supplicant for wifi (network manager uses it as well).

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                    I think GNOME is official GNU desktop. Official package manager will be Guix, and I hope the kernel will not be the Hurd because I beleive shortcomings of Mach are insurmountable, so I hope X15 will be the GNU kernel.

Comment

I was really attached to my old Sony GDM-FW900 monitor. I repaired it 4 times before I gave up on it.
                      Hey I can't say I always feel good about giving up on old hardware. I've even fixed a feature phone that probably wasn't worth the solder required to tack the power adapter back in place. However with technology that only goes so far.

I once had an 8086 based system, nice and all but if I had kept that around I would have missed out on much in the technology world. With LINUX the story is much the same, if I had tried to stay with the first LINUX distros I started with and never kept up with technology, I would have missed out on much that has happened over the years. Frankly there have been substantial changes over those years so it isn't like SystemD is unique here.

So what is next here, crying over Wayland/Weston. Or maybe we need to rehash the angst over HTML in mail, after all if text based mail was good enough why try to improve it.

Comment

Working...
                      X