C4 Engine Drops Linux Support, Calls It "Frankenstein OS"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    you seem to know one OS and expect to not learn for others, but rather other OSes to be as OS you know
    This is *THE* problem that all the newcomers have with GNU/Linux. The community will not make the GNU OS purely to fit the windoze expectations, instead the newcomers are required to either learn something new, or go away.

Comment

• Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      Other than C4 Engine, what could you suggest to write games using other game engines listed in here?

Let's say I'm into 3D Japanese RPG game development. And yes, JRPG is one of my favorite genre of all time, ranging from Chrono Trigger to Ni No Kuni and Breath of Fire IV. I'm thinking a small JRPG game, though. And a language to program something as easy as C#. And something with a level editor, if any.
      Join me and work on SQEE RPG

It's a 3D engine, but I'm still using tiles in it. Still has a long way to go to be comparable to engines like UE4 though, but it's also being designed for a more specific style of game than UE4 or Unity.

Also, I haven't implemented a scripting system yet, but I intend to go with python.

SHAMELESS PLUG https://launchpad.net/sqee

Comment

• I've never heard about C4 engine before. If you cannot into multiplatform development - don't. But you need to be honest with yourself and admit that the problem is your lacking required skills and the OS you wanted to target.

Comment

• Hello everyone. I am a user of the engine. Competition is fierce for game engines and while it's a great engine and he's one of the smartest programmers around he does tend to get a little (lol) cranky at times. Which really is not that often, a handful of times over the years.

I don't think he was ever a big *nix fan in the first place and he was recommended by some users to use Ubuntu for some reason (?), a distro which has been on the decline for a long while as far as I can tell.

Nowadays we have a few more serious Linux users and now that we know what's going on (just having trouble installing :| ) I am sure he will wind up putting it back on another distro, which should instantly solve his problems. Anyway if you guys are interested in game development at all, please consider C4. It's actually quite a good engine and it's a programmer's engine as well, not a tinkertoy art project like some engine I could name, and capable of doing just about anything. May not seem like it from the announcement but the creator also provides topnotch service to customers as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by brad0 View Post
            No shit. This is Phoronix. Mostly clueless idiots. So many butthurt Linux idiots.
            I am not angry on my behalf. But on the behalf of the developers whose work he insulted without actually giving any valuable criticism. He might be more accomplished than most of us, but who cares? Gabe Newel sees Linux as the gaming platform of the future. Call me when he's close to equals with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
              It is difficult to install / boot Linux on some systems in common existence because of hardware compatibility issues
              It is difficult to install Windows on some systems because of hardware compatibility issues. And yes, I'm talking first-hand experience here (usually had problems due to missing or broken drivers). Oh, and it's difficult to install OSX on anything that isn't Mac.

Comment

• Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                I am not angry on my behalf. But on the behalf of the developers whose work he insulted without actually giving any valuable criticism. He might be more accomplished than most of us, but who cares? Gabe Newel sees Linux as the gaming platform of the future. Call me when he's close to equals with him.
                Well, it sounded based on what he had written the reason he doesn't provide constructive criticism is it would display he doesn't know everything and hurt his ego

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoost View Post
                  Hello everyone. I am a user of the engine. Competition is fierce for game engines and while it's a great engine and he's one of the smartest programmers around he does tend to get a little (lol) cranky at times. Which really is not that often, a handful of times over the years.
                  So this isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened? Is it really safe to base a project on a single developer who has a history of randomly losing his temper and breaking stuff you may depend on with little warning?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    So this isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened? Is it really safe to base a project on a single developer who has a history of randomly losing his temper and breaking stuff you may depend on with little warning?
                    I wouldn't go so far as to say that. More like "terrible at marketing", which is especially bad when the competition is the opposite. Like I said, I am sure it will be straightened out. Personally I don't care much either way, Linux support is not going to bring many customers to a game or to an engine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                      This is *THE* problem that all the newcomers have with GNU/Linux. The community will not make the GNU OS purely to fit the windoze expectations, instead the newcomers are required to either learn something new, or go away.
                      there is a saying here, don't know about elsewhere. "NO PAIN, NO GAIN!"

and the rest what you say is a chicken and egg problem
                      - if Linux wouldn't diversify, what would be the point of using it? it's same as Windows, why not just use Windows then?
                      - if someone isn't willing to learn something new, he is either content with what he currently has or he simply didn't realize that old saying doesn't go like "If the Muhammad will not come to mountain, then mountain must go to the Muhammad".

first thing that new users should ask them selves is what the reason of their move was and if it is worth learning something new. OS is not some fashion thing

Comment

Working...
                      X