Everyone Has Different Views On The "Open-Source Community"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
    I'm using Linux because I don't want to use Windows. There is no usable another option.
    That is kind of my point. With so many people working on Linux over the years the progress has been nearly stagnant due to having too many ego's everywhere.
    They are like a pack of hungry dogs fighting over a single meal...Fork this...fork that...fork it some more...rewrite it...merge it...fork it again...../wrists
    A big fkn yes..no...yes...no mee too circle jerk

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
      You retards have had 20 years to make an open source windows replacment. You have failed.
      Is a replacement for me for that last 15 years.

Comment

That is kind of my point. With so many people working on Linux over the years the progress has been nearly stagnant due to having too many ego's everywhere.
        They are like a pack of hungry dogs fighting over a single meal...Fork this...fork that...fork it some more...rewrite it...merge it...fork it again...../wrists
        kind of ironic
        linux has been progressing over the years
        drivers, that are the most important part, have mostly been implemented
        xorg has gotten a lot better, and now there will be wayland
        and so on..

it is ironic because the thing you want people to "unify" over, that is systemd, is more like windows then anything else
        and windows, while being more powerful then most people think, has always been a worse "OS"

in short,
        if you want a gui for configs, make one
        it's just text editing

Comment

I like diversity of Linux. Different people often have different / conflicting needs and targets.

Comment

Stagnant? I suppose you are new to Linux and have not seen the tremendous improvements over the years.
            Or they have just different views and that's why we have so many options. Diversity is rarely a bad thing.

Comment

Geez, this is gonna be yet another pointless debate

LP let trolls get on his nerves, since he is overprotective of his projects. Bad thing is that both constructive and destructive criticizm goes into same trash bin.
              Nothing new, just unproffesional.

LP is right about opensource way tho, some people have already forked systemd and they try to make it a pure init replacement,
              they way most people expected it to be just few years back.

Call it duplication of effort, but some people just don't want their init to contain print server (it doesn't have it yet, but give hem some time..).

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                kind of ironic
                linux has been progressing over the years
                drivers, that are the most important part, have mostly been implemented
                xorg has gotten a lot better, and now there will be wayland
                and so on..

it is ironic because the thing you want people to "unify" over, that is systemd, is more like windows then anything else
                and windows, while being more powerful then most people think, has always been a worse "OS"

in short,
                if you want a gui for configs, make one
                it's just text editing
                Fix: systemd is not similar to windows at all(only journald took ideas from microsoft log system), systemd is more like launchd(mac os x) meet solaris zones with nitro(using linux specific infrastructure)

Comment

"systemctl restart [email protected]e" for all your accidental cat binary to stdout woes.

I'm sure you could do that with initrc, etc., but I could never figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                    Geez, this is gonna be yet another pointless debate

LP let trolls get on his nerves, since he is overprotective of his projects. Bad thing is that both constructive and destructive criticizm goes into same trash bin.
                    Nothing new, just unproffesional.

LP is right about opensource way tho, some people have already forked systemd and they try to make it a pure init replacement,
                    they way most people expected it to be just few years back.

Call it duplication of effort, but some people just don't want their init to contain print server (it doesn't have it yet, but give hem some time..).
                    well technically speaking that fork is more a joke site than anything else and knowing how well literated are BSD developers(many are license zealots tho) it won't ever be accepted because if they removed the features(the list on their site) basically will break compatibility with upstream systemd to the point it will need specific service files and will lack process tracking, resources isolation, parallelization, audit capabilities, extended ACL support, RBACL support, private temps, virtualization support, etc. and if you remove all those features you end up will old sysV like init system which make it really useless(i guess this is the logic for uselessd naming, this is why i think is a joke site)

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                      Fix: systemd is not similar to windows at all(only journald took ideas from microsoft log system), systemd is more like launchd(mac os x) meet solaris zones with nitro(using linux specific infrastructure)
                      y, with BSD jails instead of solaris zones (since idk them)
                      but it still reminds me of that windows xp gui for services, idk why

Comment

Working...
                      X