X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styromaniac
    replied
    Originally posted by Styromaniac View Post
    He only took a short break from writing a few months ago. That's clearly evident if you visit the Gaming On Linux website. He's since resumed writing for the website a while back.
    Correction, he isn't writing articles anymore. I sincerely thought he resumed writing.

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    KDE's stance seems entirely sane. Systemd only on Wayland, and even there not a hard requirement.
    Read the whole thing again, systemd will be a hard requirement for running plasma desktop on wayland. You can still manually start kwin, but starting the whole desktop will require systemd (unless someone else is willing to do the work to make something else work, which no one else is). kwin is just one component of the desktop.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    There's no list of those features yet, but if the link above is to go by, I expect it's limited to the crash recovery.

Leave a comment:

• erendorn
    replied
    KDE's stance seems entirely sane. Systemd only on Wayland, and even there not a hard requirement.
    You missed "but important features will be missing then.". It will not be a hard requirement of KDE, only a hard requirement of important features of KDE.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Gr??lin
    Of course I am not interested in making anything in a way that it ties us to systemd. And even if I did there are people like +Aaron Seigo who rightly yell in such cases. Especially in the area of mandatory dependencies Aaron and I have very often opposite standpoints and I think that is very healthy for discussions and decisions (and I am quite sure that we both take a more extreme point in such discussions than we actually want). Still the point remains: I want to have socket activation and that's just not provided by any other solution. This feature will depend on systemd in practice but in theory any system allowing socket activation would work. And it will still be possible to just start KWin without systemd support - I will need that for development. One will be able to use that, but important features will be missing then. I'm sure other projects welcome patches to make that possible.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    I knew I had read something about that somewhere, but couldn't find it to save my life. Here's a link to Martin's blog post from after the sprint, which contains some other relevant links. Though nothing about systemd, unfortunately. :/
    Last edited by Nobu; 09 October 2014, 02:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    I'm not familar with KDE's plans wrt systemd, got links?
    Sure

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    From an end users' perspective it seems that there should be o difference if the distro switches to systemd except for improved boot times. Am I right?
    Boot times aren't the focus of systemd but merely a nice side benefit of the design. For the vast majority of users, something like systemd is fairly invisible to them since it is pretty low level compared to say your desktop environment. As for benefits from systemd from a personal perspective, I don't dread having to write init scripts because the systemd equivalent files are just plain text with descriptions and the integration of logs etc is awfully convenient You don't have to deal with processes getting struck mid way through etc.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    Originally posted by huhn_m View Post
    Just type "reset". This is NOT a init system feature but a terminal feature. ... Unless your init system also provides your terminal of course ..
    Thanks, that's handy. It's not in the bash, sh, or tty man pages though, afaics. Edit: Ah, has it's own manpage...would be nice if it was referenced somewhere else, though. I knew about 'clear', but only because I tried it on a whim a while back.
    Last edited by Nobu; 08 October 2014, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Who owns KDE?
    I'm not familar with KDE's plans wrt systemd, got links?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X