Ubuntu Desktop 23.10 ISOs Recalled Due To Malicious User Translations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilunxm12 View Post

There should be a more specific word to replace antisemitic in that context as arabs are semitic people as well, probably more "semitic" than jews considering most modern jews are decensends of Ashkenazi
    yes, and a swastika is just a pagan symbol for luck or sun.

Comment

The fact that a single source - without verification! - was used for translation of a major project like Ubuntu I should find shocking. But I don't.

Although it does go to prove:

"Trust, but verify".

Originally posted by Sonadow
      Typical Western intelligence level. Reduce everything to religion because it makes them sound even more self-righteous and makes it even easier to manufacture consent.​
      Not exclusively Western. You might be surprised at the level of vitriol aimed at differing religions in the East as well. And the racism expressed in certain quarters also.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm
        Not exclusively Western. You might be surprised at the level of vitriol aimed at differing religions in the East as well. And the racism expressed in certain quarters also.
        Typical Anglo-Saxon equivalency... /s

Anyway, it seems like whoever it was had an axe to grind about TPM, and made the changes in late September and four days ago. Kind of a surprise that changes that late get into a release, but translations by their nature tend to have to be added after everything else. Perhaps that will change slightly in the future, at least for Ubuntu. (At least this wasn't an LTS.)

The same user also appears to have made changes to helloSystem Filer and Menu (a FreeBSD-derived distro).
        Last edited by GreenReaper; 13 October 2023, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          I use Ubuntu but I think this is hilarious.

Let me be clear, not because I support any message that was included but because it beautifully illustrates the shortcomings of open source as a software development platform.

If you want quality control you can't depend on the public at large, proper QC is achieved through rigorous, tight control, and thorough testing, not on relying on Joe Blow to contribute anything that will end up in the final product.
          You are funny. Every time a company tries to create high quality does the cost of a product shoot up. So the companies then have to find ways to cut the cost, because of the competition, and to shift the cost to the buyers in obscure ways. Either by turning buyers into beta testers, by outsourcing it to underdeveloped countries (including child labour!), and/or by making it all about shareholder value.

To make this about open source is utterly stupid and shows a complete lack of understanding for the industries, how its competition on the markets creates tons of bad products and social problems, while at the same time do you also render your "Joe Blow" as dumb and incompetent.

Of course mistakes happen on both sides, but on the side of open source is it very rare for these to be intentional or even malicious, because it is open for all to see. On the side of companies, where decisions are being made in closed rooms is there a lot more intent and malice, which ends up getting turned into BS about how this was good for all once it gets out.
          Last edited by sdack; 13 October 2023, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
            I come to this forum to find the juice.
            Almost there

Comment

If you want quality control you can't depend on the public at large, proper QC is achieved through rigorous, tight control, and thorough testing, not on relying on Joe Blow to contribute anything that will end up in the final product.
              Yeah because mistakes never happens with proprietary software

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                Religious people will often see outsiders as self-righteous because religious people have little moral intelligence of their own, but obviously get their morals handed down by their religion. A religion, that portrays self-righteousness as immoral, obviously controls its followers by limiting their ability to think and judge for themselves. It is an inherent problem of religion and it intentionally prohibits autonomous thinking. It creates hordes of people with few morals of their own (which can then be discarded or replaced more easily for any cause, such as crusades and terrorism). So do not try to defend accusations of the West being self-righteous. There is nothing wrong with thinking for yourself. They are just being stupid.
                Last edited by sdack; 13 October 2023, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I use Ubuntu but I think this is hilarious.

Let me be clear, not because I support any message that was included but because it beautifully illustrates the shortcomings of open source as a software development platform.

The problem is that Canonical prefers quantity over quality and it f*cked up yet again just like with the Snap store incident not long ago - too much reliance on automatic reviewing and automatic name registration which resulted in the same malicious app appearing twice in the store.
                  But you don't seem to realise that and continue to think these Canonical's f*cks up are open source flaws.

I do think though that when it comes to bug testing in open source software, there is too much reliance on users.
                  Last edited by user1; 13 October 2023, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave
                    Well we can all agree Israel is a shitty terrorist country that perpetuaated genocide and other basic human rights violations for decades. Simply disgusting
                    No matter which side you take in this conflict, if you think it's ok what those Hamas terrorists did to innocent Israeli civilians a few days ago (killing, kidnapping, raping, beheading babies and more atrocities), you're nothing but a terrible human being.

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib
                      Since people are asking for it:
                      Thanks for that. One of my pet peeves with news reporting is that they'll report that "X said something offensive and that actions have been taken" but they won't say what was actually offensive to begin with. Sometimes its benign, sometimes it isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X