Ubuntu Desktop 23.10 ISOs Recalled Due To Malicious User Translations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

The Ubuntu distro would have to implement better code review & quality control standards first.

Sadly, mny Linux distros take the old Microsoft approach to packaging - "If it compiles ... SHIP IT!!"
    Interestingly enough I've always thought that if I was ever to provide foreign translations for my hobby apps, I'd never blindly take anyone's contribution without verifying it somehow. None of my apps are even popular but I'm smart enough to know the power of trolling.

Comment

including vim is a hate crime.

Comment

"What's even the point of doing something like this?"

A few possibilities...

"Sticks and stones is an imperialist lie - and don't ask why, citizen!"

"We hate that speech!"

"The dictionary dares to mention chromosomes!!!"

"

Comment

Okay, so none of the above; still, we live in exciting times...

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post
            What's even the point of doing something like this?
            I would guess they didn't target Ubuntu specifically, but rather some generic translation tool that is used by many apps or sites hoping to spread some message to many places from some central location. I just don't expect anyone in their right mind to think they can spread a message through an OS installer, let alone an OS with maybe 1% market share or less. Not that I think anyone in this conflict is in their right mind anyway!

Comment

I come to this forum to find the juice. I'm very disappointed right now because no one is telling what happened. Come on, phoronix users. You can do better.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                The Ubuntu distro would have to implement better code review & quality control standards first.
                Canonical likely has learned a lesson that they are going to need to start paying for translation services going forward, either by hiring their own staff, or more likely paying companies who specialize in translation (i.e. a LSP (Language Service Provider)) in order to avoid future issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                  I come to this forum to find the juice. I'm very disappointed right now because no one is telling what happened. Come on, phoronix users. You can do better.
                  Antisemitic messages.... Obviously from fanatic muslims against Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                    Canonical likely has learned a lesson that they are going to need to start paying for translation services going forward, either by hiring their own staff, or more likely paying companies who specialize in translation (i.e. a LSP (Language Service Provider)) in order to avoid future issues.
                    They should simply have a second set of eyeballs looking over things like translations. It could still be done with volunteers. But a professional outfit should not be shipping stuff that no one has ever proofread. The worst thing is that without being proofread, translations are likely to give bad instructions, possibly causing some people to harm their systems or run them in a non-secure manner.

Comment

I love how bureaucratic companies always pretend to be transparent and then constantly omit and selectively craft their speech.

Like they're required to say something, but then they do everything possible to be as vague as possible.

Self licking icecream.

Comment

Working...
                      X