Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ipmitool Repository Archived, Developer Suspended By GitHub

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by r1348 View Post
    So, his employer came under US sanctions, and now a tool used in millions of US servers (including government and intelligence ones) is unmaintained.
    I use ipmitool on a daily basis, I wrote probably around a hundred scripts that basically wrap around it. This is going to be interesting.
    Yep. Interesting to see where it goes.

    Comment


    • #32
      Sanctions or not, suspending account without giving expanations, is inappropriate behaviour for such a service.

      Hopefully author will find saner code hosting.

      Comment


      • #33
        I hope he can move the project elsewhere, perhaps something that is not riddled with politics. ipmitool is an insanely valuable tool if you need to work with physical servers and provides an interfaces that lets you ignore whatever Dell, HP and so on try to force on you with their web interfaces and their random and weird UX.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
          I use freeipmi (Fedora) instead of ipmitool. Not sure what distributions use ipmitool?
          Well, that would be among others fedora...

          dnf info ipmitool.x86_64
          Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:57 ago on tis 14 mar 2023 12:44:43.
          Available Packages
          Name : ipmitool
          Version : 1.8.18
          Release : 26.fc37
          Architecture : x86_64
          Size : 384 k
          Source : ipmitool-1.8.18-26.fc37.src.rpm
          Repository : fedora
          Summary : Utility for IPMI control
          URL : http://ipmitool.sourceforge.net/
          License : BSD
          Description : This package contains a utility for interfacing with devices that support
          : the Intelligent Platform Management Interface specification. IPMI is
          : an open standard for machine health, inventory, and remote power control.
          :
          : This utility can communicate with IPMI-enabled devices through either a
          : kernel driver such as OpenIPMI or over the RMCP LAN protocol defined in
          : the IPMI specification. IPMIv2 adds support for encrypted LAN
          : communications and remote Serial-over-LAN functionality.
          :
          : It provides commands for reading the Sensor Data Repository (SDR) and
          : displaying sensor values, displaying the contents of the System Event
          : Log (SEL), printing Field Replaceable Unit (FRU) information, reading and
          : setting LAN configuration, and chassis power control.
          ‚Äč

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post
            I hope he can move the project elsewhere, perhaps something that is not riddled with politics. ipmitool is an insanely valuable tool if you need to work with physical servers and provides an interfaces that lets you ignore whatever Dell, HP and so on try to force on you with their web interfaces and their random and weird UX.
            Even if ipmitool isn't forked and maintained by others, there are alternatives. Here's a handy comparison (though a bit dated). Fedora / Red Hat use freeipmi:

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Ermine View Post
              Sanctions or not, suspending account without giving expanations, is inappropriate behaviour for such a service.

              Hopefully author will find saner code hosting.
              Do you know for sure that's how it happened? If they are on the entities list, then the provider has no choice but to cease working with them.
              Where I used to work, we'd send out an email as we suspended your service, which is probably what they did.

              Comment


              • #37
                Hubber here, ojab is on point.

                Originally posted by ojab View Post
                According to https://ru.linkedin.com/in/aamelkin he's a team lead in YADRO and it's OFAC sanctioned/in SDN list since 24th Feb https://home.treasury.gov/policy-iss...tions/20230224
                We're in dialogue with him.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by ojab View Post
                  According to https://ru.linkedin.com/in/aamelkin he's a team lead in YADRO and it's OFAC sanctioned/in SDN list since 24th Feb https://home.treasury.gov/policy-iss...tions/20230224
                  no need to look at linkedin, this company is literally mentioned in his github profile.

                  I'm not arguing about blocking all the accounts connected to sanctioned organizations, but what the hell? Github doesn't delete such organizations, doesn't warn their members, doesn't explain the reasoning, does nothing but silent blocks. Also, had this guy not mentioned this organization in his profile, his account would've been just fine.

                  That's not how you do such stuff, in my opinion...

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

                    Do you know for sure that's how it happened? If they are on the entities list, then the provider has no choice but to cease working with them.
                    Where I used to work, we'd send out an email as we suspended your service, which is probably what they did.
                    Maybe a private email is standard GH policy for repos, but I think an exceptiton should be made and the reasoning should be public for such a popular project.

                    The owners and GH can still debate it in private.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      We are at war with eastasia

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X