Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Makes Some Major Changes To Summer of Code 2022 - No Longer Limited To Students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Makes Some Major Changes To Summer of Code 2022 - No Longer Limited To Students

Phoronix: Google Makes Some Major Changes To Summer of Code 2022 - No Longer Limited To Students

Over the past nearly two decades Google Summer of Code (GSoC) has been known as an initiative for getting students involved with open-source software development over the course of a summer while receiving a stipend/grant from Google. Beginning next year, GSoC will no longer be limited to students but open to all adults. Additionally, other changes are also coming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if this has anything to do with competing with China's similar initiative (forgot what it's called), or maybe it's just because they realized that a 27 yrs old dude is just as capable as a 20 yrs old?

Comment

Awesome changes, it didn't make sense limiting the contributions by such restrictions if the objective of the GSoC was to gather/introduce more developers to open source projects

Comment

Nice!
        I would love to see more contributors for KDE.
        Maybe we can get a Vulkan backend for KDE Plasma or a bluetooth backend or scrcpy integration for KDE connect.

Comment

What's weird is they say you don't need a college degree to code(just take our google cert classes) but here you need to be working on one to contribute free labor for them ?
          You would think as a slave driver you don't care who rows the boat?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
            here you need to be working on one to contribute free labor for them ?
            It's not free labor - it's like a paid internship. And it's for approved projects, but it's not like you're working directly on Google code.

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
            You would think as a slave driver you don't care who rows the boat?
            I think they used it as a tool for recruiting kids out of school. Also, it helped these kids get some more real-world type experience and even helped vet them for Google's sake.

There are many nice things about hiring fresh out of school: young employees with lower salary expectations, no children to raise, lots of stamina, and easy to mold. However, Google doesn't only hire fresh grads, and this latest move probably helps them expand their hiring pool.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              I wonder if this has anything to do with competing with China's similar initiative (forgot what it's called), or maybe it's just because they realized that a 27 yrs old dude is just as capable as a 20 yrs old?
              I agree, but I do hear all the time that a 27-year old can't keep up with a 20-year old, at least in the IT world.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I agree, but I do hear all the time that a 27-year old can't keep up with a 20-year old, at least in the IT world.
                I also hear all the time that Americans are racist, at least from CNN, NBC, MSNBC.

Comment

There's a lot that 20 year-olds don't know. I was sure a lot more competent and capable at 27 than 20, for sure. Any difference in how hard I could work was more than offset by my ability to find better solutions that often required less work.

Comment

It has been my experience over my 40 years as a professional software developer, that you will only hear this from 20-year-olds. It is certainly not consistent with observation.

Comment

Working...
                    X