Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Makes Some Major Changes To Summer of Code 2022 - No Longer Limited To Students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babuloseo
    replied
    We really need some heavy lifting on FreeCAD and similar projects that have been neglected for programs such as Blender, I would love an open source competitor to Autodesk Inventor or even Solidworks.

Leave a comment:

• naithThomas
    replied
    Oh, that's good news.

Leave a comment:

• Jorson
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I agree, but I do hear all the time that a 27-year old can't keep up with a 20-year old, at least in the IT world.
    Most likely this is due to how quickly a person is ready to adapt to a new environment, for example, at 20 years old there is still not enough experience, but there is a desire to learn more new things than at 27. But in fact, experience is often needed in order to quickly integrate a person into the process, unload the rest, than when the resource is still spent on the execution of all processes and getting that same experience. There is no age limit here, and it doesn't matter if you are 20 or 27 if you have no work experience.

Leave a comment:

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by bregma View Post
    It has been my experience over my 40 years as a professional software developer, that you will only hear this from 20-year-olds. It is certainly not consistent with observation.
    Really? I think I've only ever heard it from managers (non-technical ones who just bought an MBA from a mill), not even the 20-year-olds themselves.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    I agree, but I do hear all the time that a 27-year old can't keep up with a 20-year old, at least in the IT world.
    so in it world 20 year olds have higher salaries than 27 year olds, right?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I also hear all the time that Americans are racist, at least from CNN, NBC, MSNBC.
    Good straw man.

Leave a comment:

• bregma
    replied

It has been my experience over my 40 years as a professional software developer, that you will only hear this from 20-year-olds. It is certainly not consistent with observation.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    There's a lot that 20 year-olds don't know. I was sure a lot more competent and capable at 27 than 20, for sure. Any difference in how hard I could work was more than offset by my ability to find better solutions that often required less work.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied

I also hear all the time that Americans are racist, at least from CNN, NBC, MSNBC.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    I wonder if this has anything to do with competing with China's similar initiative (forgot what it's called), or maybe it's just because they realized that a 27 yrs old dude is just as capable as a 20 yrs old?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X