KDE Is Looking For Ideas On New Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

I wasn't a KDE3 user so I don't know how you did that. Was it a feature in Dolphin or equivalent program back then? I assume it's just modifying something in fstab or udev rules?

Is there an existing bugzilla wishlist item for it? If not perhaps raise one and let Nate know about it, since it's a usability thing and that's his jam
    Nothing to do with Dolphin. It was part of the device notifier or whatever it was called back then. You could configure it in the settings for the device notifier. These days (if this is still current) it's hardcoded; see https://github.com/gustavosbarreto/l...ccess.cpp#L411

As for bugs, this has been around forever. I looked at it way back when and IIRC the mount options are hardcoded somewhere. One of the many bugs filed against kde4 was https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=168914; I opened https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364955 3 years ago for KDE5.

Comment

Guys: No joke, no trolling: After 8 years, I switched to Windows 10: No tearing, watching amazon prime finally in HD quality, everything is faster (even Firefox with WebRender enabled by default) and flicker free. No desktop freezes (Ubuntu 19.04), no graphic errors (KDE). I had enough of quirks. Maybe my next PC will be even a mac.
      And if I really need Linux: Windows supports even this within its subsystem. I gave Windows 10 a try after so many years and I'm looking forward.

Comment

I'm not interested in having a graphically "nice" file manager, if it lacks functionality!
        Among other things, I struggle a lot to understand how it can be said that Dolphin does not have good graphics. Kde has improved a lot in the default, but as always happens, not everyone likes it. Reading that Nautilus is beautiful graphically is a blow to the heart, it looks like a software cut with scissors, not very refined, but still many like it. But the key thing is the features and Dolphin is much more complete than Nautilus.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          I'm not interested in having a graphically "nice" file manager, if it lacks functionality!
          Among other things, I struggle a lot to understand how it can be said that Dolphin does not have good graphics. Kde has improved a lot in the default, but as always happens, not everyone likes it. Reading that Nautilus is beautiful graphically is a blow to the heart, it looks like a software cut with scissors, not very refined, but still many like it. But the key thing is the features and Dolphin is much more complete than Nautilus.
          Install Krusader and be done with it. It's Total Commander's (from Windows user space) functional clone.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Install Krusader and be done with it. It's Total Commander's (from Windows user space) functional clone.
            Well, Krusader is brilliant, but it's a bit overkill for your daily small tasks. Dolphin is a sleek, intuitive, beautiful daily driver, but still has most of the features you need on a daily basis. Nautilus on the other hand might be fancy (at least some people say that about it ^^), but is dwarfed even by most android-filemanagers in regards to functionality. So be my guest to bring a minimalistic FM to KDE, but please don't dumb down dolphin!

Comment

KDE should look more on stability bug fixes for the normal users, I assume everybody had crashed KDE applications, Plasma (which better would be called KDE desktop), kwin, baloo, discover... especially baloo and discover, why are these applications not delivered as experimental packages within KDE applications until they are stable?
              I do hope that Wayland becomes now finally the default and it gets the necessary attention. A Vulkan backend for Kwin would be great too, it should help to avoid the necessary OpenGL quirks.
              I believe KDE is the most attractive platform. It just needs polish in stability (crash free), reasonable defaults, design, clarity and open communication about open pitfalls. If something is experimental, then call it experimental and track the progress how e.g. multi monitor issues are closed down. It's nice to read every week from ngraham which things are done, but it feels like marketing when the real issues are mostly not covered or do not get the necessary attention. But as there is a vibrant community I'm anyway positive about the progress. Well I wish that the ugly KDE bug tracker gets replaced soon with something nice, something that allows everybody direct access, maybe just add in the help menu as well a button to see the open issues so that people can directly review and comment on open bugs plus a function to up vote them.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

I don't need to install Total Commander, Dolphin has everything I need, it's graphically good and integrates very well in Plasma. When I used Gnome, Nautilus was a bit limited for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  KDE should look more on stability bug fixes for the normal users, I assume everybody had crashed KDE applications, Plasma (which better would be called KDE desktop), kwin, baloo, discover... especially baloo and discover, why are these applications not delivered as experimental packages within KDE applications until they are stable?
                  I do hope that Wayland becomes now finally the default and it gets the necessary attention. A Vulkan backend for Kwin would be great too, it should help to avoid the necessary OpenGL quirks.
                  I believe KDE is the most attractive platform. It just needs polish in stability (crash free), reasonable defaults, design, clarity and open communication about open pitfalls. If something is experimental, then call it experimental and track the progress how e.g. multi monitor issues are closed down. It's nice to read every week from ngraham which things are done, but it feels like marketing when the real issues are mostly not covered or do not get the necessary attention. But as there is a vibrant community I'm anyway positive about the progress. Well I wish that the ugly KDE bug tracker gets replaced soon with something nice, something that allows everybody direct access, maybe just add in the help menu as well a button to see the open issues so that people can directly review and comment on open bugs plus a function to up vote them.
                  The bug-fix is a job that is always done for every release, the developers try to always fix the bugs, in some cases the bugs are of qt, so it is necessary to wait for their correction. But today, I use KDE on Tumbleweed and on Leap 15.1 and I don't see all these big bugs, things have improved a lot. However one thing does not exclude the other, there are developers dealing with designers and others with bugs and others with new features. It is not always the fault of the DE if an application crashes, it can be a problem of the application itself.

Comment

Originally posted by rlkrlk View Post
                    I don't care about the drive label. But when automounting my camera memory cards, all of the filenames get canonicalized to upper case; I want to canonicalize FAT/VFAT filenames to lower case if there's no long name provided.
                    Again that is not Linux. Linux supports upper and lower case short name on vfat without long filenames for a long time..
                    man mount in the vfat section.
                    shortname=mode
                    Defines the behavior for creation and display of filenames which fit into 8.3 characters. If a long name for a file exists, it will always be the preferred one for display. There are four modes:

lower Force the short name to lower case upon display; store a long name when the short name is not all upper case.
                    win95 Force the short name to upper case upon display; store a long name when the short name is not all upper case.
                    winnt Display the short name as is; store a long name when the short name is not all lower case or all upper case.
                    mixed Display the short name as is; store a long name when the short name is not all upper case. This mode is the default since Linux 2.6.32
                    Read down take note of the default. Display the shore name as is. This is not the win95 mode canonicalized shortname upper case and this has never been a default under Linux. That been mixed mode default since 2013 in most distributions. Before mixed it was Winnt mode go back to 1990s and before that lower was default. Linux by default is transforming nothing with a vfat mount.

Basically your camera has to be writing all short filenames to the FAT/VFAT in uppercase. Linux default behavour on display of vfat file names by default exactly matches every Winnt based operating system. So nt 3.5 to Windows 10 does the same thing of showing 8.3 file names as is by defualt.

Yes manual mounting under linux you can do shortname=lower that does do a transform but it a sledge hammer. Text.txt and the like would also be crushed to lower.

This does come kind of a horrible question.

PS Read that carefully and you will notice why Cameras default to uppercase everything. Storing long name when short name is lower or mix of lower and upper cases cuts down on your number of directory number of files per directory because long filename entries consume directory entries. Sometimes file system design issues are pure pains in ass. Yes forcing lower than copying files can cause event where a directory fails to copy because the new directory will have too many files due to creating long file names. shortname=lower is not without it major case of nasty teeth. Maybe a file copy option todo transformation as you copy on and off media would safer.
                    Last edited by oiaohm; 10 June 2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Again that is not Linux. Linux supports upper and lower case short name on vfat without long filenames for a long time..
                      man mount in the vfat section.

Read down take note of the default. Display the shore name as is. This is not the win95 mode canonicalized shortname upper case and this has never been a default under Linux. That been mixed mode default since 2013 in most distributions. Before mixed it was Winnt mode go back to 1990s and before that lower was default. Linux by default is transforming nothing with a vfat mount.

Basically your camera has to be writing all short filenames to the FAT/VFAT in uppercase. Linux default behavour on display of vfat file names by default exactly matches every Winnt based operating system. So nt 3.5 to Windows 10 does the same thing of showing 8.3 file names as is by defualt.

Yes manual mounting under linux you can do shortname=lower that does do a transform but it a sledge hammer. Text.txt and the like would also be crushed to lower.

This does come kind of a horrible question.

PS Read that carefully and you will notice why Cameras default to uppercase everything. Storing long name when short name is lower or mix of lower and upper cases cuts down on your number of directory number of files per directory because long filename entries consume directory entries. Sometimes file system design issues are pure pains in ass. Yes forcing lower than copying files can cause event where a directory fails to copy because the new directory will have too many files due to creating long file names. shortname=lower is not without it major case of nasty teeth. Maybe a file copy option todo transformation as you copy on and off media would safer.
                      My point is that Linux offers a number of options for name translation, but KDE 4 and 5 hard code a particular option where KDE3 allowed me to change it. The default is fine as a default; I'm not asking that that be changed, but I want to be able to control it without having to sudo mount -o remount (this script runs as me, not as root).

My script handles it by translating the name, but I'd rather just be able to rsync rather than having to write my own code. Yes, I know shortname=lower is a bit crude if I care about interchange with Windows, but I don't. All I want is what was available in KDE3: the ability to change it per volume.

Comment

Working...
                      X