Valve Rolls Out Wine-based "Proton" For Running Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lanz View Post

In Steam, right click DOOM > Properties > Set Launch Options > +r_renderAPI 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set m_smooth 0 +com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1 +menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1

You may magically have display with that.
    That does seem to have resolved it! Now that I have that working, I'll try enabling "unsupported" games and see what I can get done.

Comment

• Originally posted by lem79 View Post
      I am noticing this on Ubuntu 18.04 as well. Mesa 18.3 via Padoka PPA, kernel 4.18.0, Vega 56, Unity desktop. I figure someone higher up will have noticed this already and a fix would be planned. I'm going to try a different desktop environment on the weekend (Gnome Shell and XFCE), see if it's DE related.
      It happened to me on KDE.

Comment

• No luck with mesa 18.2.0-rc4 with LLVM 7.0. I'll try mesa-git if I can build it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lanz View Post

It happened to me on KDE.
          Good to know. I suspect it'll happen on all DEs as it's an issue with Wine and mouse polling rate (thanks mo0n_sniper): https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...ment-415267781

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
            WTF can't wine just implement these changes themselves and make Windows games work universally for all distros?
            Some changes will most likely be implemented. But the Vulkan parts won't be as Wine doesn't just focus on Linux but Mac OS as well, where Vulkan isn't implemented.

Comment

• Originally posted by epaaj View Post

Some changes will most likely be implemented. But the Vulkan parts won't be as Wine doesn't just focus on Linux but Mac OS as well, where Vulkan isn't implemented.
              But wine is already implementing D3D12 in Vulkan. Even on MacOS, through MoltenVK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                Hypothetically, if this involves significantly improving Wine, could this make it a lot easier to run non-games on Linux? It would be great if it made it easy to run line-of-business apps on Linux. If that happened, then I could be truly and completely Windows free.
                You can already do that for most application. https://www.codeweavers.com/ even provides support for it, to run for example MS Office. And those are the people Valve paid to work on proton

Comment

• The end of me using Windows for anything is neigh. Time to celebrate.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

But wine is already implementing D3D12 in Vulkan. Even on MacOS, through MoltenVK.
                    As I understand it it's still separated and won't be built into Wine itself. It's a project that works with Wine, but not as part of the Wine code.
                    So whatever work Valve does for the Vulkan parts (vkd3d, dxvk or moltenVK) will stay with those projects, as it should.

Comment

• Originally posted by epaaj View Post
                      As I understand it it's still separated and won't be built into Wine itself. It's a project that works with Wine, but not as part of the Wine code.
                      So whatever work Valve does for the Vulkan parts (vkd3d, dxvk or moltenVK) will stay with those projects, as it should.
                      It's just a library that gets linked to wine itself.

vkd3d is part of the "wine project" (winehq) which includes other stuff like the website and other components, with the main component being "wine" itself.

Here's the git list

Comment

Working...
                      X