X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    i would like to play tetris while booting
    You don't see far enough.
    I'd like to have my GNOME desktop ready while booting ...

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier View Post
      You don't see far enough.
      I'd like to have my GNOME desktop ready while booting ...
      Yeah, well, I want my computer to be shutting down while booting!

Wait, it does that 70% of the time already...

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        Yeah, well, I want my computer to be shutting down while booting!

Wait, it does that 70% of the time already...
        See? Almost there!

Comment

Originally posted by unix_epoch View Post
          If a bug happens for one person it might as well be everyone, because individuals are the ones who make the decision to use Linux for themselves, and if that one individual has a bug that nobody cares to fix, they might choose something else and bring their friends away with them. Plus, if (for example) a mouse bug affects one person's laptop, it probably affects an entire category of laptop+mouse combinations.
          It's not just that particular problem; it's a shitload of crap all over the place. It's like a house without a roof, but you can stay dry at the first floor. Report a completely missing roof in terms of a bug per molecule. And that's just me being nice...

Ever compared package installs with Ubuntu? You're in for a complete laugh here; if you need to apply like about 50 updates (right after clean install) it would take ubuntu no longer than let's say 15 minutes in total, including OpenOffice.org, Linux, X.org, a complete nVidia driver, etc at max. With Fedora you can leave stuff patching overnight and I'm not joking! Intsalling just one package on Ubuntu might take 5 minutes but when that's done Fedora would still be updating the repositories and if you get lucky it might be 'already' be at the resolving dependancies stage. ROFL.

Fedora has got to be the worst distribution I have ever tried in my entire life. Even if I would compare Fedora 11 to SuSE 6 or something...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Fedora has got to be the worst distribution I have ever tried in my entire life. Even if I would compare Fedora 11 to SuSE 6 or something...
            Maybe, but Fedora has one of the best development team, and has often new technology before other distros.
            I say that even though I'm a Debian addict

Comment

Yeah I also tried Fedora once and I was hoping that development team that you are talking about did their job and guess what they didn't it was fedora 9 and it was unusable.

Unfortunately not everything new means the best it just means step in right direction but sometimes you have to take 2 steps back.(in case of pulse audio few years back)

Take ubuntu for example.Every year there's Ubuntu and Fedora comparison and always Ubuntu matches or exceeds Fedora in speed.No matter that Fedora removed deprecated HAL.

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
                Take ubuntu for example.Every year there's Ubuntu and Fedora comparison and always Ubuntu matches or exceeds Fedora in speed.No matter that Fedora removed deprecated HAL.
                Take security for example. If every year you compare Ubuntu and Fedora security Fedora will beat out Ubuntu. So what? Nothing.
                They are both generally supported for <= a year and a half so pretty useless for non-geek usage.

So just pick up the distro that better applies to your geek soul, and let's get back in theme: DRM in Plymouth.

Comment

Ubuntu LTS is supported for more than a year...

Fedora sadly is just a testing ground for new tech that is the latest of the greatest but Red Hat (CentOS) is where it's actually made for end usage...

Comment

Ever compared package installs with Ubuntu? You're in for a complete laugh here; if you need to apply like about 50 updates (right after clean install) it would take ubuntu no longer than let's say 15 minutes in total, including OpenOffice.org, Linux, X.org, a complete nVidia driver, etc at max. With Fedora you can leave stuff patching overnight and I'm not joking! Intsalling just one package on Ubuntu might take 5 minutes but when that's done Fedora would still be updating the repositories and if you get lucky it might be 'already' be at the resolving dependancies stage. ROFL.
                    *sigh* /yum/log/

Oct 01 16:07:18 Updated
                    ... 142 Updates/around 200 Megs later
                    Oct 01 16:21:42 Updated

So yeah, 14 Minutes isn't what I would call a whole night, but then again I really like to sleep late...

Comment

Ubuntu LTS is supported for more than a year...

Fedora sadly is just a testing ground for new tech that is the latest of the greatest but Red Hat (CentOS) is where it's actually made for end usage...
                      You mean enterprise end usage? Fedora is plenty fine for normal users.

Comment

Working...
                      X