Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plymouth Gets A DRM Renderer Plug-In

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Hehe. The real revolution would be to load Pulseaudio and play music while the computer is booting! :P
    Why not load a full X desktop along the way.

    Then we'll need a pre-boot system too though... possibly with graphics too...

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Why not load a full X desktop along the way.

      Then we'll need a pre-boot system too though... possibly with graphics too...
      Mmm, recursion. Tasty!

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Why not load a full X desktop along the way.

        Then we'll need a pre-boot system too though... possibly with graphics too...
        That would be CoreBoot ^^,

        Comment


        • #14
          This is a good explanation why DRM is used:
          http://blogs.gnome.org/halfline/2009...-head-support/

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by fabiank22 View Post
            Well, on your Laptop maybe. But please refrain from talking about bugs only you have as if they were a problem everybody has.
            If a bug happens for one person it might as well be everyone, because individuals are the ones who make the decision to use Linux for themselves, and if that one individual has a bug that nobody cares to fix, they might choose something else and bring their friends away with them. Plus, if (for example) a mouse bug affects one person's laptop, it probably affects an entire category of laptop+mouse combinations.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by whizse View Post
              This is a good explanation why DRM is used:
              http://blogs.gnome.org/halfline/2009...-head-support/
              Ah, better multi-head support is the rationale. There go my hopes for a short Doom 3 session during boot.

              We still don?t do any accelerated rendering. We don?t really need it, since plymouth splashes are normally designed to be very simple (Think ?cell phone splash? not ?3D video grame?).
              I'm sad now...

              Comment


              • #17
                Can somebody tell me WHY we need DRM in the boot logo? All you need is 2d, there is NO POINT, in fact, the boot splash should be the last priority.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by dmbtech View Post
                  Can somebody tell me WHY we need DRM in the boot logo? All you need is 2d, there is NO POINT, in fact, the boot splash should be the last priority.
                  The article states that DRM is needed to adress the problem of multiscreen with different resolutions. With the traditionnal /dev/fd interface, some screens will have black margins, whereas with DRM, each screen will have the boot page tailored to its native dimensions.

                  And to be clear, the only thing used in libdrm for now is the ability to setup each screen separately, no 3D (not even 2D) acceleration.
                  May it stay like this for ever ...
                  Last edited by Xavier; 09-30-2009, 04:05 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Xavier View Post
                    And to be clear, the only thing used in libdrm for now is the ability to setup each screen separately, no 3D (not even 2D) acceleration.
                    May it stay like this for ever ...
                    Probably also will since actual acceleration implementations tend to be in userspace and you don't benefit of them by just tapping into DRM.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      i would like to play tetris while booting

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X