X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cen1 View Post
    PipeWire, Wayland, Qt, KDE, systemd, apt
    That was simple
    he means Qt compete with GTK and KDE compete with gnome and apt compete with dnf

but you can fix all of this very simple for example instead of Qt/GTK most modern view to this is to just use webbrowser/webassembly to develop your software.

and instead of apt/dnf you could just use flatpak/appimage

this leave it to just KDE vs Gnome but its only a matter of personal taste if you want windows style GUI or Apple/android style gui.

i discovered that if most non-experts talk about KDE they just mean windows style GUI then you install them Cinnamon that use GTK/Gnome but make it look like windows style GUI and they are happy.

i used Qt/KDE for like 20 years i dropped it its literally death. if you want windows style GUi you better use Cinnamon (desktop environment)

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

You should be thanking me for point out you are an obnoxious person and correct that behavior. Get over yourself silly boy.
      Fine. If you want to sound like an idiot, I won't stop you. Carry on.

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

he means Qt compete with GTK and KDE compete with gnome and apt compete with dnf

but you can fix all of this very simple for example instead of Qt/GTK most modern view to this is to just use webbrowser/webassembly to develop your software.

this leave it to just KDE vs Gnome but its only a matter of personal taste if you want windows style GUI or Apple/android style gui.

i discovered that if most non-experts talk about KDE they just mean windows style GUI then you install them Cinnamon that use GTK/Gnome but make it look like windows style GUI and they are happy.

i used Qt/KDE for like 20 years i dropped it its literally death. if you want windows style GUi you better use Cinnamon (desktop environment)

Playing Devil's advocate of the 'all choice is wonderful' crowd - there's an argument to be made that there's too many. Why can't devs get along? LOL! These are grown-ups, right? It's so fragmented - multiple DEs, different languages, different systems, different tool kits and let's look at how many distros there are - how many fork off and then you have yet another one - instead of contributing towards the parent one - they break off because? I dunno.... there's many reasons.

I know that the Gnome team - have their own way of causing frustration..... so, switch to KDE? Or how about Cosmic - hopefully, it will be so superior to the others - that we move to that one?

Rant over.

Comment

I run KDE because GNOME 2.x's customizability was too limited.

I doubt Cinnamon will be any different, given its origins... especially when I'm currrently looking to replace as many GTK apps on my KDE desktop with Qt apps as possible because of the creeping GNOME-isms in apps like Inkscape, such as "Apparently not even KDE's Breeze-GTK theme can get rid of the drop shadows on menus which turn into giant black borders when KWin is suspending compositing because a video player is full-screened on another monitor."​

Comment

• Originally posted by cen1 View Post

PipeWire, Wayland, Qt, KDE, systemd, apt

That was simple
            You mean: Pipewire, Wayland, GTK, Gnome, systemd, Flatpak

Comment

• Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
              You mean: Pipewire, Wayland, GTK, Gnome, systemd, Flatpak
              yes this is a sane solution.

but flatpak can not replace appimage because flatpak has no shell script support... the sandbox modell cripple the shell script funtionality.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I run KDE because GNOME 2.x's customizability was too limited.

I doubt Cinnamon will be any different, given its origins... especially when I'm currrently looking to replace as many GTK apps on my KDE desktop with Qt apps as possible because of the creeping GNOME-isms in apps like Inkscape, such as "Apparently not even KDE's Breeze-GTK theme can get rid of the drop shadows on menus which turn into giant black borders when KWin is suspending compositing because a video player is full-screened on another monitor."​
                compositing should never be suspended...

Comment

• Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                  ... I'm currrently looking to replace as many GTK apps on my KDE desktop with Qt apps as possible because of the creeping GNOME-isms in apps like Inkscape, such as "Apparently not even KDE's Breeze-GTK theme can get rid of the drop shadows on menus which turn into giant black borders when KWin is suspending compositing because a video player is full-screened on another monitor."​
                  I'm not a fan of GNOME-isms either.

My naïve view is that UI changes should be accompanied by a configuration preference that can be used to continue with the old behaviour. The 'Windows 95 style' menu-bar works for many people, and removing it is like doing a full makeover of their home without their permission, with new furniture in different places. I'm quite happy to let other people arrange their houses according to their preferences: I don't like it if their preferences are imposed upon me. Another analogy is replacing someone's keyboard with a different layout without their agreement.

Comment

• Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

I'm not from the US so their three letter agencies like NSA etc. don't interest me.
                    Just so you know most 3 letters agencies focus way more on anything but the US.

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
                    What interests me instead are the 'bugs' installed in open source by the Russians, Chinese and Koreans, which are exploited by their hacking groups.

​​​
                    That's like focusing on the mouse while there's also an elephant in the room.
                    Or maybe that's supposed to be a funny trolling ?

Comment

compositing should never be suspended...
                      Actually, to be honest, I tend to see the bug as being "Oops. I forgot to toggle compositing back off after restarting the system."

I generally run with compositing disabled because it improves system stability and helps me to achieve the multi-month desktop sessions I prioritize.

Comment

Working...
                      X