X.Org Server & XWayland Updated Due To Two Decade-Old Security Vulnerabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Like I said: I'm not a native speaker but I try to make an effort. If I can, so can others.
    Problem here is, you'll never know what kind of effort something is for someone else. So comments like that have a high probability of doing more harm than good.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

*****Nowhere where the grammar police was around*****????"" to feel superior obviously. It's Phoronix. Not an academic paper. Get over it.
      You should be thanking me.... just trying to help so someone could potentially understand you (and so you don't sound illiterate).

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

You should be thanking me.... just trying to help so someone could potentially understand you (and so you don't sound illiterate).
        You should be thanking me for point out you are an obnoxious person and correct that behavior. Get over yourself silly boy.

Comment

@to many English teachers: English language is an excuse when an opponent has few arguments or it's in bad faith. English langue is that language in which teachers explain that onion is pronounced anion even if it is written onion... albeit it would be preferable to write it anion in order to avoid to waste time so to read a word in the same way the same word is written. People which talk phonetic languages waste half of their life to learn how to write and to speech the words of their own languages... People which speech literal languages learn to read just after two weeks and are able to pronounce words beyond their vocabulary. So, don't waste time in stupid excuses when it is proven that such language is stupid on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
            @to many English teachers: English language is an excuse when an opponent has few arguments or it's in bad faith. English langue is that language in which teachers explain that onion is pronounced anion even if it is written onion... albeit it would be preferable to write it anion in order to avoid to waste time so to read a word in the same way the same word is written. People which talk phonetic languages waste half of their life to learn how to write and to speech the words of their own languages... People which speech literal languages learn to read just after two weeks and are able to pronounce words beyond their vocabulary. So, don't waste time in stupid excuses when it is proven that such language is stupid on its own.
            I agree that good written English is challenging to produce, even for native speakers.The same is true for spoken English. And the spelling is horrible, as the combinations of letters seem to bear no relation to how they are pronounced, unlike, say, Korean. So people learning English as an additional language to their usual one have my complete sympathy. And, I'll say thank you to you for choosing to communicate in English, as many native English speakers take it for granted that other people will use their language.

i don't have a good resource for the comparative difficulties of learning English compared to other languages. Obviously, it will depend on what your usual language is. If you assume that it is as difficult for a native foreign speaker to learn English as it is for and English speak to learn the foreign one, then there are tables of comparative difficulties for different languages here:

You know that friend you have that speaks three languages fluently—effortlessly even? They probably also get eight hours of sleep every night, never misplace

When people start thinking about learning a language like Russian or Chinese, one of the first thoughts that spring to mind is that it would be way too difficult. You should not

And a viewpoint about the disadvantages of communicating in a foreign language:

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

Given the relative ages of X and modern graphics hardware, wouldn't it be more accurate to say:" Modern graphics hardware is not fully functional, its design is fundamentally at odds with how X works."
              Sure, if you want to argue that things like having more than one CPU core should be disallowed because they impair C's ability to treat the CPU as a fast PDP-11, or that macintoshes should never have extended beyond a 24-bit address space.

At some point, your software will bump up against limitations in its design that become exponentially more difficult to just work around.

Why does X11 still not allow the volume control buttons on your multimedia keyboard to be used when Workrave is in "It's time for a break" lockout mode or you're on your lock screen? Because it's all using the same XGrabKeyboard call and it was determined that fixing the problem would be too hazardous to keeping screen lockers secure.

...and modern X11 screen lockers are already a huge hack.

Comment

The problem with written English is that:
                1. It's an "interlang with seniority" between West Germanic languages (The "Frisian is our closest relative" part), North Germanic languages (where we get the voiced and unvoiced "th" phonemes used in words like "Thursday" and "this"), and Old Norman (Thanks, Norman conquest of 1066. You gave us that more or less unique pig/pork, cow/beef distinction, as well as overwriting pretty much all words longer than a couple of syllables.)
                2. 19th Century grammarians decided to meddle further ("Don't split the infinitive" comes from their hard-on for latin, where you can't. Aversion to "singular they" comes from their attempts to stamp it out in favour of "gender-neutral he" when both have co-existed since the beginning of modern English.)
                3. We standardized our spelling while The Great Vowel Shift was in progress, which caused chaos for how our vowels get assigned to letters in our standard spelling. I believe another West Germanic language (Danish, maybe?) also had a similar vowel shift but updated their spellings to match.
                4. Received Pronunciation English has the second most vowel sounds of any European language (I can't remember if it was Dutch or Danish that has more) but we didn't bother to add new letters to our language like other Germanic languages did.
                5. So many of our weird vowel-pronunciation assignments boil down to "Written English doesn't use a character for the central vowel". Məteriəl. Dətention. Pərticulər.
                That said, we have somewhat developed an underlayer to work around those shortcomings. Give Denise Eide's Logic of English presentation a watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Sure, if you want to argue that things like having more than one CPU core should be disallowed because they impair C's ability to treat the CPU as a fast PDP-11, or that macintoshes should never have extended beyond a 24-bit address space.

At some point, your software will bump up against limitations in its design that become exponentially more difficult to just work around.

Why does X11 still not allow the volume control buttons on your multimedia keyboard to be used when Workrave is in "It's time for a break" lockout mode or you're on your lock screen? Because it's all using the same XGrabKeyboard call and it was determined that fixing the problem would be too hazardous to keeping screen lockers secure.

...and modern X11 screen lockers are already a huge hack.
                  Well, it was a little tongue in cheek.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Give Denise Eide's Logic of English presentation a watch.
                    Interesting presentation, paced for a general audience. Thank-you for the recommendation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

PipeWire, Wayland, Qt, KDE, systemd, apt

That was simple

Comment

Working...
                      X