No announcement yet.

New X.Org Server Release While Maintaining Separate XWayland Being Discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New X.Org Server Release While Maintaining Separate XWayland Being Discussed

Phoronix: New X.Org Server Release While Maintaining Separate XWayland Being Discussed

Last week marked a X.Org Server 21.1 development snapshot being released. While that snapshot noted there will "most likely be no proper release", there is discussion now over creating such a X.Org-Server-Without-XWayland release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess eventually XWayland will be pared down to just the essentials, or replaced with a re-impl.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      I guess eventually XWayland will be pared down to just the essentials, or replaced with a re-impl.
      Nope, X11 and specifically X11 via Xorg is such a mess of broken, hacky and against the standard work that something like that would not happen.
      If you would create a fully clean X11 server, it would not run most of the software as those expect quirks of Xorg they did work around with hacky protocol usage.
      And if you would create a X11 server with those quirks, it would just be Xorg again.

Comment

So basically precisely what I said in the other thread

Comment

What is this?

Pipewire is almost ready.
          Nvidia making XWayland compatible drivers.
          Xorg going 21.
          Linux Game Publishing returned online.

I'm beginning to think this would be the year of Desktop GNU/HURD.

Or worse... Creative Labs finally releasing that promised hardware accelerated EAX/OpenAL driver for the X-FI.

Comment

I think this doesn't solve the main problem of the current situation, that is who will properly maintain this project (fixing bugs / regressions) and who will fund it. I don't know what's the interest of Povilas Kanapickas in doing this, but he's just one developer and something complex as Xorg can't be maintained with only good intentions.

Comment

It looks like some folks realize they missed the new train and try to figure out how to keep the steam locomotive rolling for a bit longer.

Comment

Xorg is completely useless nowadays. Its eventual integration in Oses already provided by Wayland and Xwayland means to increase the complexity of graphical management so to cause issues. The hope is to get pure Wayland Oses soon.
                Last edited by Azrael5; 11 July 2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                  What is this?

Pipewire is almost ready.
                  Nvidia making XWayland compatible drivers.
                  Xorg going 21.
                  Linux Game Publishing returned online.

I'm beginning to think this would be the year of Desktop GNU/HURD.

Or worse... Creative Labs finally releasing that promised hardware accelerated EAX/OpenAL driver for the X-FI.
                  Where have you got the news about Creative?

Comment

XQuarts
                    What happened to XPints? :P

EDIT: Also, (28 * 10)th post. Woo!

Comment

Working...
                    X