Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Is Looking To Hire Another Experienced Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post
    That's a long list of requirements for no listed hiring rate... As much as I like Michael and RH, I dislike seeing Phoronix advertising for Red Hat with such a bad job ad. Shame on both of you.
    Don't worry, he's going to be paid *very* well. I'm pretty sure of it because this kind of expertise comes at a cost
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
      *sigh*, I think I need to relocate, though don't know where. Suse, Red Hat, Canonical often has cool jobs — but never in Russia.
      Surely russia has linux jobs? Seems lots of cool stuff going on over there.

      Comment


      • #43
        It is a so specific role that very few people can apply, so it doesn't really matter the salary, people who are eligible will get a better salary than the current they have.
        Last edited by Danielsan; 05-15-2019, 10:22 AM.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by fuzz View Post

          Surely russia has linux jobs? Seems lots of cool stuff going on over there.
          Well, I work at one GNU/Linux company, we're reinventing a proprietary clone of CEPH that nobody would ever need.

          Red Hat, Suse, Canonical is where you contribute to the existing GNU/Linux ecosystem (well, okay, maybe not Canonical :Ь), this is another matter, this is cool.

          I lurk around various FOSS projects a lot, and I don't remember ever seeing ".ru"-postfixed corporative mail in someone's commits; at best I've seen a few times a generic ".ru" mail-providers, that's it.

          Also, USA/EU companies has better salaries

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            It is like that with many metropolitan areas frankly!
            And not just in the States: try finding affordable housing in London or Amsterdam (I mean in the better parts of town).

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

              They do that for all sorts of American jobs. No need to get all nationalist on us. Jobs like to fuck us regardless of the country we live in, and they do some scummy stuff here. They list requirements that are technically impossible, like needing 5 years of c++ 17 experience. If you manage to get a really "good" job, HR has dedicated staff to help you get welfare and food stamps.

              That 5+ year *lists random graphics stuff* part is going to be the biggest deal breaker. Unless using the software counts, I doubt that very few people will meet that requirement that aren't already at a good paying job.
              I'm pretty sure it's impossible to have that much C++17 experience considering how long ago 2017 was. It's almost like that Swift job offer people joked about a while ago. These requirements are mostly bullshit, and I don't know why they even bother, do they expect people to just ignore what they post in their offers and apply anyway?

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

                I have to wonder is you guys trashing Redhat actually use Fedora or RedHats software. Honestly Fedora on MY AMD based laptop put Windows ten to shame readily out performing it. That is on a machine with new Ryzen based hardware that requires new drivers to get to a functional system. I'm had more problems with HP's hardware/software support than Linux on the machine.
                Show me hardware that can run GNOME 3 well. I've seen i5-8400 boxes stutter with nothing besides GNOME running. People can't stand this crap, and they switch to KDE. The desktop is just awful in pretty much every single aspect, it feels like it was designed for touch screens, and it's so bad that it makes Windows 8 and it's metro interface look good.

                Why do they even bother with providing an official desktop? People who spend time working with GNU/Linux workstations will tend to have their preferences and dotfiles at hand to make themselves at home in a couple of minutes. I assume plenty of developers who put in the effort to pick something decent picked a tiling WM and called it a day.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

                  Show me hardware that can run GNOME 3 well. I've seen i5-8400 boxes stutter with nothing besides GNOME running. People can't stand this crap, and they switch to KDE. The desktop is just awful in pretty much every single aspect, it feels like it was designed for touch screens, and it's so bad that it makes Windows 8 and it's metro interface look good.

                  Why do they even bother with providing an official desktop? People who spend time working with GNU/Linux workstations will tend to have their preferences and dotfiles at hand to make themselves at home in a couple of minutes. I assume plenty of developers who put in the effort to pick something decent picked a tiling WM and called it a day.
                  This laptop with its 4K screen and i7-7700HQ does Gnome 3 very well, especially with Fedora 30's Gnome 3.32.1. My older laptop with it's 4-something Haswell i7 also did Gnome 3 very well. Sure, they each have occasional glitches or stutter but nothing much. They're both better than Windows 10. Have you ever tried to use a W-10 desktop while compiling 12-24 build jobs on a 4c/8t laptop? (Because Visual Studio builds both sub-projects in parallel and the files within those projects). It's hideous. Linux is much better. I credit systemd cgroups.

                  And the Ryzen 1700X with its Vega is really smooth. It never glitches. The Raptor II with its Radeon WX7100 is also ridiculously good at Gnome 3.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

                    Show me hardware that can run GNOME 3 well. I've seen i5-8400 boxes stutter with nothing besides GNOME running. People can't stand this crap, and they switch to KDE. The desktop is just awful in pretty much every single aspect, it feels like it was designed for touch screens, and it's so bad that it makes Windows 8 and it's metro interface look good.

                    Why do they even bother with providing an official desktop? People who spend time working with GNU/Linux workstations will tend to have their preferences and dotfiles at hand to make themselves at home in a couple of minutes. I assume plenty of developers who put in the effort to pick something decent picked a tiling WM and called it a day.
                    My hardware runs GNOME 3 3.32 perfectly fine with zero stutter. It's still not perfect, but I've found KDE isn't exactly much better either.

                    And if you think GNOME is for touch screens you're using it wrong. It's not trying to be a MacOSX or Windows clone which makes it unique among the larger DEs.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by Britoid View Post

                      My hardware runs GNOME 3 3.32 perfectly fine with zero stutter. It's still not perfect, but I've found KDE isn't exactly much better either.

                      And if you think GNOME is for touch screens you're using it wrong. It's not trying to be a MacOSX or Windows clone which makes it unique among the larger DEs.
                      I'm not saying that KDE is good, I'm just noticing that people around me flock to it because of how universally despised GNOME is.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X