Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Is Looking To Hire Another Experienced Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airlied View Post
    OpenCL doesn't bare any commonality
    Honestly, I am counting down the days until Gnome 3 requires compute capability on the GPU in order to effectively layout gui elements whilst making sure that they do not collide! XD.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This kind of complete and uncalled for bullshit is really complete and uncalled for bullshit.

GNOME3 graphical requirements aren't different from KDE.
    KDE4+.

As you know, KDE 3.5 was actually quite responsible with its energy requirement. It is also the reason why Gnome 2 dominated KDE 4 until it died.

My point being that many of us are still entirely dissatisfied with the main Linux desktop environments.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 15 May 2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

In server Linux yes, but I doubt they care much about Linux graphics stack. Oracle is also invested in Linux for example. And we know their general attitude. So I hope that acquisition won't make things worse.
      Well it really depends on the type of server one is building. I would expect that we will see more and more servers with GPU's, especially if the server is destined for non traditional server apps. The GPU won't be used for ""graphics"" so much as compute and AI type applications. These are both of interest to IBM not so much Oracle.

On a side note I wish AMD would get their new GPU's out. I have to wonder how much unreleased information related to the GPU's computer and AI capabilities exists.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Its kinda funny but the fact that Red Hat is now stuck with the absolute piece of crap that is Gnome3 for their main desktop is possibly the *only* reason why they are looking at developing better GPU drivers to handle its completely absurd graphical requirements.

This is kind of a win because Gnome 3 will disappear some day but these drivers will stick around much longer and are priceless. Without Red Hat to pay these uniquely skilled developers, we would likely have never had them.

Quite funny watching an enterprise Linux distro struggle with gamer graphics cards just because the user-interface community has completely failed them. But at least they are in the position to save us; we obviously cannot save ourselves from the onslaught of poor software decisions.
        I have to wonder is you guys trashing Redhat actually use Fedora or RedHats software. Honestly Fedora on MY AMD based laptop put Windows ten to shame readily out performing it. That is on a machine with new Ryzen based hardware that requires new drivers to get to a functional system. I'm had more problems with HP's hardware/software support than Linux on the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

I have to wonder is you guys trashing Redhat actually use Fedora or RedHats software..
          I have absolutely no issue with Red Hat. Quite to the contrary, I am saying that they are perhaps one of our only options to get GPUs working well enough for "desktop" usage. I have evidenced in quite a few threads that I am a happy RHEL 6 user (especially since Red Hat still maintains recent browsers for this platform)

I am however saying that Gnome3 is a terrible mess and IMO through poor decisions has caused this over-reliance on a GPU in the first place. It isn't sustainable and I think it needs to be re-evaluated.

Yes, this is a Linux "gamer" forums in essence; so a GPU isn't so much of a problem for us, but from an enterprise or digital preservation, virtualisation angle it is poorly conceived and naive. It simply means time and resources are being spent working on software that no-one can use.
          Last edited by kpedersen; 15 May 2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            Honestly, I am counting down the days until Gnome 3 requires compute capability on the GPU in order to effectively layout gui elements whilst making sure that they do not collide! XD.
            Honestly, you really need to stop posting this bullshit, it makes you look bad.

My point being that many of us are still entirely dissatisfied with the main Linux desktop environments.
            Your point is bullshit, as explained above, and repeated below:

KDE 5 Plasma and GNOME3 are perfectly responsive and work perfectly fine on a workstation running a shitty ATI Xpress 200 integrated graphics from 2004. I just replaced the ancient HDD with a more modern HDD (still mechanical, no SSD) for unrelated reasons (the stupid thing was noisy).

Comment

Not that I had any hope given the requirements of 5 years graphics experience which I don't have, but pressing Apply button results in:

Oh, well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                Not that I had any hope given the requirements of 5 years graphics experience which I don't have, but pressing Apply button results in:
                This is why VPNs are a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  This is why VPNs are a thing.
                  Right, but this means that besides not being an ideal candidate I'm also reside in a country where they don't hire. And then I'd probably need a Visa from them, whilst not being an ideal candidate, so… I'm not sure whether it's even worth to try.

Comment

*sigh*, I think I need to relocate, though don't know where. Suse, Red Hat, Canonical often has cool jobs — but never in Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                      *sigh*, I think I need to relocate, though don't know where. Suse, Red Hat, Canonical often has cool jobs — but never in Russia.
                      Easy, Russia isn't in the USA influence sphere, which is where they mostly operate in. Try with EU, UK/NZ/AU/Canada or of course USA.

I don't know about South America (Brazil and friends) but I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X