Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Is Looking To Hire Another Experienced Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why so bitter? Some RedHat people are offering a job to someone looking for one, that's a good thing. Where I am, RedHat pays a lot to be in historic buildings, and all they do is make "playbooks", sort of like jupyter guides, but they kind of suck in execution (less than most big houses, but still).

Salary is something you negotiate. Can you do the job? Can you provide value? Then they will pay. Doesn't matter where you are.

I can't believe the negative attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

In server Linux yes, but I doubt they care much about Linux graphics stack. Oracle is also invested in Linux for example. And we know their general attitude. So I hope that acquisition won't make things worse.
      Except that people able to use Linux on their desktops helps further the Linux server as people will want to use what they use every day.

Comment

Will libv apply?

Comment

It's a bit pointless to post an ad when the hiring pool is like a dozen people. Gotta love big company bureucracy, though it is good PR.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            The Red Hat blog title should be: Red Hat Is Looking To Hire Another who prevents the success of the Linux desktop
            The Linux desktop market share would be 99% without Red hat and IBM. Gnome3, wayland, systemd, pulseaudio, networkmanager, polkit and kernel bugs by them are great tools to keep people using windows.
            Its kinda funny but the fact that Red Hat is now stuck with the absolute piece of crap that is Gnome3 for their main desktop is possibly the *only* reason why they are looking at developing better GPU drivers to handle its completely absurd graphical requirements.

This is kind of a win because Gnome 3 will disappear some day but these drivers will stick around much longer and are priceless. Without Red Hat to pay these uniquely skilled developers, we would likely have never had them.

Quite funny watching an enterprise Linux distro struggle with gamer graphics cards just because the user-interface community has completely failed them. But at least they are in the position to save us; we obviously cannot save ourselves from the onslaught of poor software decisions.
            Last edited by kpedersen; 15 May 2019, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Its kinda funny but the fact that Red Hat is now stuck with the absolute piece of crap that is Gnome3 for their main desktop is possibly the *only* reason why they are looking at developing better GPU drivers to handle its completely absurd graphical requirements.
              Except we spent lots of time and money doing that before gnome3 as well. I'm not sure if G3 has led to much increased investment in that area. Certainly moving drivers to the kernel from userspace was a decision we made long before G3, and Vulkan development is entirely orthogonal to G3, OpenCL doesn't bare any commonality. HMM is definitely not helping G3.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Will libv apply?
                I'll guess no. He still hates pretty much everyone still involved in graphics development.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  This kind of complete and uncalled for bullshit is really complete and uncalled for bullshit.

GNOME3 graphical requirements aren't different from KDE. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with either KDE or GNOME3 runs fine and is responsive as normal on an ancient workstation with an integrated ATI Xpress 200 chipset (which supports OpenGL 2.0) that I have around.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 May 2019, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    The Red Hat blog title should be: Red Hat Is Looking To Hire Another who prevents the success of the Linux desktop
                    The Linux desktop market share would be 99% without Red hat and IBM. Gnome3, wayland, systemd, pulseaudio, networkmanager, polkit and kernel bugs by them are great tools to keep people using windows.
                    Adding element on the stack to allow non-technical people to easily manage their machine is hindering the expansion of linux desktop usage for such people, sure...

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      Will libv apply?
                      During the radeonhd project, egbert eich had a futile (in my view, which i stated beforehand, and which got confirmed) phonecall with kevin martin. Here kevin martin claimed that the reason they did not want to cooperate is because i "had been nasty to adam jackson". This either refers to me asking "where was this discussed" a few weeks earlier, exposing the one-sidedness of adams actions, or to me getting pissed at Adam Jackson in july 2006 for using the results of bug-5386 (which introduced dynamic EDID mode selection and freed us all from poking at modes in xorg.conf), for ages and letting the author of the actual code believe that this code had died a silent death and was not worth pursuing (which meant that i returned to my own playground and removed tons of kloc from the unichrome driver to get the overlays sorted). The latter showed me just how this post-xfree86-fork community functioned, views only reinforced by things like RandR1.2 and the nasty radeonhd fork.

Also, in the days after the SuSE round of credit-crunch firings, after FOSDEM 2009, Jan Wildeboer and Dunja Heinrich invited a lot of SuSE people to restaurant Ruhestoerung here in Nuernberg (now closed). Later that evening, i was told that, after i had left, Jan Wildeboer had stated that Adam Jackson had shouted loudly inside redhat that "if libv joins, i quit".

Ajax went as far as hacking the radeonhd repo using fd.o root a year later, and deliberately "overlooked" it in the gitlab conversion last year, yet still is employed by redhat today.

But redhat has a cult of ajax, as seen here, people seem to believe that getting Xorg to build equates to magic, and are willing to have critical bugs stall for weeks on a single persons whims, which only were answered on irc and not in bugzilla. That's just bad culture, and it is amazing that in any major organization, people are getting away with that alone, not counting all the other bs ajax pulled in the community.

So there is no point to me trying, and i am quite certain that i am not the biggest personality problem in this story. There is also no way that Ajax will keep his word on what most of redhat apparently heard him shout in 2009, so nothing will change.
                      Last edited by libv; 15 May 2019, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X