No announcement yet.

A Look At The Linux Graphics/Gaming Performance With GNOME 3.30 X.Org/Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tried a bit of Dirt Rally on GNOME 3.30 (Wayland) and this game amongst many others used to stutter quite a lot when using (x)Wayland but it runs smooth now. Something has definetly been improved.

Wayland still problematic for gaming though. Vulkan games (in my case RotTR, and anything using DXVK) hang immediately after launching them on Wayland. Works fine when I'm using i3 or GNOME on x.org.

Debian Sid
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core @ 16x 3.4GHz [36.3°C]
    AMD Radeon (TM) R9 Fury Series (FIJI, DRM 3.26.0, 4.18.0-1-amd64, LLVM 6.0.1)

Comment

I love how Xorg basically blew Wayland in performance on almost all tests (where all the fanboys at with their shitty assumptions?), and the wording is just "barely any difference" (unwilling to accept reality), but when Wayland got a small win it's "better performance generally". What the faq?

Just admit Wayland is crippled both in performance and features.

Comment

Games on Wayland will never reach games on Xorg performance on full-screened games because you can bypass the compositor on Xorg but not on Wayland. You'll get same performance on windowed games because the overhead exists on both cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          Just tried a bit of Dirt Rally on GNOME 3.30 (Wayland) and this game amongst many others used to stutter quite a lot when using (x)Wayland but it runs smooth now. Something has definetly been improved.
          FWIW, that's more likely due to changes in Xwayland 1.20 than GNOME 3.30.

Wayland still problematic for gaming though. Vulkan games (in my case RotTR, and anything using DXVK) hang immediately after launching them on Wayland.
          Could be https://bugs.freedesktop.org/107757 , fixed by https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/247128/ .

Originally posted by hussam View Post
          Games on Wayland will never reach games on Xorg performance on full-screened games because you can bypass the compositor on Xorg but not on Wayland.
          Of course you can, it's just not implemented yet in gnome-shell.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Of course you can, it's just not implemented yet in gnome-shell.
            What's left if you bypass the compositor if it is also the display server?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Most games still don't recognize it and then some of the older SDL2 ones that haven't seen updates in a while just crash.
              Even if you only manage to run Dota 2 I think it would still be interesting enough for an article.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Seconded. This would be interesting to see.

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Even if you only manage to run Dota 2 I think it would still be interesting enough for an article.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                  I am fully aware of this. Only playing stupid here - basicly the audience that Gnome targets at.
                  I don't think tastes in GUI are related to IQ, but whatever...
                  With other words: The overhyped Wayland is simply broken. How long have they been working on it ?
                  It doesn't mean it is broken. It means the transition between Xorg and Wayland is a tough one.

Comment

With other words: The overhyped Wayland is simply broken. How long have they been working on it ?
                    Wayland it's broken because it doesn't support X11 apps? Well, Windows DWM and macOS Quartz doesn't support X11 as well. So this makes them broken?

It's up to developer to ensure Wayland compatibility, not Wayland devs. A lot of toolkits already support Wayland. It's not Wayland fault that some apps using old toolkits (like GTK2 or Qt4) or have X11 only code. Wayland isn't another X11 implementation so that's why it doesn't support X11 apps native. This doesn't make it broken. How long they been working on what? They are not working only on X11 compatibility.
                    Last edited by dragon321; 11 September 2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                      Wayland it's broken because it doesn't support X11 apps?
                      No it's broken because you can't do basic stuff like querying window positions. By design, not simply lack of features.
                      Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                      Well, Windows DWM and macOS Quartz doesn't support X11 as well. So this makes them broken?
                      You can query window positions on Windows (and many other features Wayland lacks).

Comment

Working...
                      X