No announcement yet.

A Look At The Linux Graphics/Gaming Performance With GNOME 3.30 X.Org/Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game performance aside. A daily view of real gaming performance!

My sister and I recently purchased Graveyard Keeper for Linux (Unity 3d). We both are running this game on Fedora 28. She runs it under Gnome Desktop and I run it under Xfce4 Desktop.

She, while she has the more powerful notebook, more ram, better hd and graphics card, is suffering from permanent game freezes, stuttering, bouncing keys and regular game shutdowns. While I, on my underperformant notebook have the things far better. No freezes, no bouncing keys and no game shutdowns.

Gnome, that is based on Wayland is a huge mess. Once the game loads up a black window pops up telling my sister that the game doesn't respond and if she want's to close it (during load up time). She usually clicks that dialog away and continues loading the game. This doesn't happen under my Xfce4 setup.

Within the game itself, you can use W, A, S, D, E, F to interact with the game like moving around, opening inventory and so on. But pressing these keys for too long causes the game to bounce the hell out of it. If you keep the finger on 'D' for more than 5 seconds then the character won't stop moving to the right for more than 1 minute. This doesn't happen under my Xfce4 setup.

Within the game itself, my sister notices permanent game freezes and hangups during gameplay. In the middle of the walking process the character simply locks up and doesn't do anything. You can't open inventory, you cant move the character etc.... If you don't do anything here then the game ends up being shut down after a while... She has to press ESC a couple of times to avoid this from happening (maybe that black dialog has popped up in the background and had to escape away... dunno)... This of course doesn't happen under my Xfce4 setup.

So at the end... who cares if Gnome improved Gaming performance, if the rest simply doesn't really work... What benefits do I have with one or two frames more, if keyboard interaction and loading times cause Gnome to spit out dialogs telling one false information that the game has frozen (which is not true) and if the underlaying technology isn't able to correctly emit button and keyboard interactions.

Comment

Try removing ibus. That could help with keys getting stuck, not so much with the frames.

Last edited by srakitnican; 11 September 2018, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
        Try removing ibus. That could help with keys getting stuck, not so much with the frames.
        Thanks! But gnome-shell and gdm both depend on ibus. If you dnf remove ibus, then you also have to remove gnome-shell and gdm. So basicly this is a nogo.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

Thanks! But gnome-shell and gdm both depend on ibus. If you dnf remove ibus, then you also have to remove gnome-shell and gdm. So basicly this is a nogo.
          There are a few other workarounds in the bugreport you may try to disable ibus.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            Is anyone benchmarked games with SDL2 and SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland?
            Michael can you please test it?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Michael can you please test it?
              Most games still don't recognize it and then some of the older SDL2 ones that haven't seen updates in a while just crash.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post

There are a few other workarounds in the bugreport you may try to disable ibus.
                I will try exporting some of these environment variables and see what it does. By the way, this is known as "works out of the box" kinda thing @ the gnome developers. No one has to tweak values because it simply "works" *cough*... Wonder if the rename ibus to org.gnome.Ibus with one of the upcoming Fedora releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                  Game performance aside. A daily view of real gaming performance!

My sister and I recently purchased Graveyard Keeper for Linux (Unity 3d). We both are running this game on Fedora 28. She runs it under Gnome Desktop and I run it under Xfce4 Desktop.

She, while she has the more powerful notebook, more ram, better hd and graphics card, is suffering from permanent game freezes, stuttering, bouncing keys and regular game shutdowns. While I, on my underperformant notebook have the things far better. No freezes, no bouncing keys and no game shutdowns.

Gnome, that is based on Wayland is a huge mess. Once the game loads up a black window pops up telling my sister that the game doesn't respond and if she want's to close it (during load up time). She usually clicks that dialog away and continues loading the game. This doesn't happen under my Xfce4 setup.

Within the game itself, you can use W, A, S, D, E, F to interact with the game like moving around, opening inventory and so on. But pressing these keys for too long causes the game to bounce the hell out of it. If you keep the finger on 'D' for more than 5 seconds then the character won't stop moving to the right for more than 1 minute. This doesn't happen under my Xfce4 setup.

Within the game itself, my sister notices permanent game freezes and hangups during gameplay. In the middle of the walking process the character simply locks up and doesn't do anything. You can't open inventory, you cant move the character etc.... If you don't do anything here then the game ends up being shut down after a while... She has to press ESC a couple of times to avoid this from happening (maybe that black dialog has popped up in the background and had to escape away... dunno)... This of course doesn't happen under my Xfce4 setup.

So at the end... who cares if Gnome improved Gaming performance, if the rest simply doesn't really work... What benefits do I have with one or two frames more, if keyboard interaction and loading times cause Gnome to spit out dialogs telling one false information that the game has frozen (which is not true) and if the underlaying technology isn't able to correctly emit button and keyboard interactions.
                  So I guess she is running GNOME on Wayland?
                  And since you are running the game on Xfce, it means you run it on Xorg.
                  That alone explains the difference between both. On Wayland, the game runs on XWayland, which, like any other compatibility layer, is subject to instabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
                    So I guess she is running GNOME on Wayland?
                    And since you are running the game on Xfce, it means you run it on Xorg.
                    That alone explains the difference between both.
                    I am fully aware of this. Only playing stupid here - basicly the audience that Gnome targets at.

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
                    On Wayland, the game runs on XWayland, which, like any other compatibility layer, is subject to instabilities.
                    With other words: The overhyped Wayland is simply broken. How long have they been working on it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Most games still don't recognize it and then some of the older SDL2 ones that haven't seen updates in a while just crash.
                      It is possible with Dota2 if you override the SDL library bundled with the steam runtime.

Is it possible to run dota natively on wayland by exporting SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland ? I get these errors and the game doesn't start: Unable to create dummy window for GLMDisplayDB.gl/togl/glmdispla...

Comment

Working...
                      X