No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.20 RC4 Released, EGLStreams For XWayland Might Still Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seriously hope this won't get merged. Nvidia delivered nothing than making fun of the ecosystem. Even if this hurts wayland adoption for a short prolonged while, they still didn't come up with any sane solution instead of their - in the end propietary - crap. If they present any sane idea, i wouldn't have any problem with it, but not this way.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Best impact would be if this feature doesn't get merged. Got NVidia card? That's a pity, you'll have to ask NVidia for support and avoid Wayland in the meantime. It's not liike NVidia can't contibute to the Unix device memory allocation API, if they are interested in getting their drivers support Wayland. If they don't contribute, it's because they don't care, or they find it easier to wait for EGLStreams to be merged...
      That's ideological nonsense that doesn't fit in real life. Most desktop computers in many countries only ship with nvidia graphics cards. Yes, NVIDIA has been a horrible company since the 3dfx interactive takeover. But it would be incredibly stupid to sacrifice customers so you can stick to your principles.
      Linux isn't a religious cult. Stop treating it as such.

Comment

I would suspect that the vast majority of desktop machines do not have nVidia - just intel with integrated graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by DerCaveman View Post

So that 0.5% should buy AMD or use Windows - period
          No sane person, who need performant 3d will buy AMD card. Sorry. Too slow, too noisy, too expensive.
          That 0.5% will just stick with x11 until wayland developers will stop trying to promote opensource "directx" around mesa and switch to some loosely coupled solution, such as eglstreams or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
            No sane person, who need performant 3d will buy AMD card. Sorry. Too slow, too noisy, too expensive.
            I've not had any issues with AMD, have had about 60 gpu's where 30 is amd and 30 is nvidia.
            RX580 isn't that power hungry compared to 1060, it's equal performing, It's competitively priced

Linux on AMD previously was hell but now it's pretty painfree experience...

Comment

Nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
                Linux isn't a religious cult.
                You're wrong. As long as Linux is about FOSS, Linux is much like a religious cult. If you aren't such a believer, you can always use Windows and NVidia cards and you'll be happy. For others NVidia is devil.

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post

Not merging EGLStreams for XWayland will only hurt Wayland adoption, not NVidia...
                  It's not like Wayland is the only choice. No one is forced to adopt Wayland here and now. In contrast, merging EGLStreams will only hurt the ecosystem, by endorsing NVidia policies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
                    How and what gets merged is up to the developers, not random forum members.

EGLstream works very well on most major distributions.
                    NVidia proprietary drivers work very well too, so why don't they merge those too?

Comment

Good luck trying to force nvidia to change their policy, being part of 0.5% of their customers.
                      I'm not trying anything like that. I'm only trying to make linux users aware of what freedom is.

Comment

Working...
                      X