Some In The Ubuntu Community Want To Fork, Maintain Unity 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
    Maybe Unity would have been good if they had worked on Unity itself instead of investing in a dead end like Mir. Anyway, good riddance, I've been running Ubuntu Gnome for a long time now.
    Yeah, I think they should have invested in Unity on top of Wayland instead.
    The development would be so much more accelerated and they would have saved lots of resources spent on developing Mir and porting Gtk and Qt to Mir.
    They could have Unity 8 on Wayland and it would be production-ready now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Unity was far better and far more usable than Gnome. It did everything better! Icons on desktop, ability to minimize windows, better performance, more options. Gnome is unusable nightmare.
      Ubuntu uses Unity and parts of GNOME. With Unity you have all the GNOME software like calculator, gedit, terminal, charmap, gsettings, dconf-editor, control panel, Nautilus, and lots and lots of other GNOME software.
      So Ubuntu and Unity heavily relies upon GNOME. So Unity isn't better than GNOME, but maybe you mean Unity is better than gnome-shell.
      However gnome-shell is very customizable using extensions.
      I am not a fan of gnome-shell, but I use it together with GNOME Classic session and its great.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
        GNOME is running so bad on low end machines. Unity 7 is running okay and Unity 8 is running awesome / 60fps whole the time, no stutter, no anything. I wonder if it is because Mir is superior or just because Unity8 is better than GNOME ?
        Probably a bit of both, I tested Unity 8 and Mir a little bit and it was a really smooth experience, too bad they will be abandoned now, I hope someone will at least fork Unity 8 and make it work on Wayland or X11 or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Unity was far better and far more usable than Gnome. It did everything better! Icons on desktop, ability to minimize windows, better performance, more options. Gnome is unusable nightmare.
          Gnome in fact can do minimize and show icons on desktop. It's just hidden from end-user due to UX decisions but can be enabled through gnome-tweak-tool. I'm assuming distro could change the defaults if they wanted to

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Well, if we're in fact checking mode, feel free to post links proving either of those claims.
            How about Ubuntu's popcon?

Sorted by number of installations of each package:
            1. (657624) unity
            2. (290047) kubuntu-desktop + kde-plasma-desktop + kde-full
            3. (205665) gnome-shell + gnome
            4. (49604) xfce4
            5. (23000) lxde
            6. (14697) icewm
            7. (11454) cinnamon
            8. (5321) mate-desktop

I'm a bit surprised anyone could think that Unity was not the most used desktop environment with Ubuntu. It's the default. That alone is enough argument. It's the thing that you get when clicking on the Download link on the website.

Don't you people know how most of the world uses an operating system? They stick to the defaults. The tweakers, modders, and whatnot are the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              I'm a bit surprised anyone could think that Unity was not the most used desktop environment with Ubuntu. It's the default. That alone is enough argument. It's the thing that you get when clicking on the Download link on the website.
              They read someone's opinion on it on a social media website. That's good enough for most people to consider it factual.

Comment

My 2 paisa: Forget X and Mir, move to Wayland. Also, avoid trying libhybris, and just use Intel/AMD tablets for now, since their open source drivers work great with X and Wayland. If only Intel had moved forward with Broxton......Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                  They read someone's opinion on it on a social media website. That's good enough for most people to consider it factual.
                  It is also wishful thinking, they dont like Unity so nobody else likes it. I hope the future Gnome on Ubuntu will get some extensions to make it Unity-like, many will miss Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

How about Ubuntu's popcon?

Sorted by number of installations of each package:
                    1. (657624) unity
                    2. (290047) kubuntu-desktop + kde-plasma-desktop + kde-full
                    3. (205665) gnome-shell + gnome
                    4. (49604) xfce4
                    5. (23000) lxde
                    6. (14697) icewm
                    7. (11454) cinnamon
                    8. (5321) mate-desktop

Don't you people know how most of the world uses an operating system? They stick to the defaults. The tweakers, modders, and whatnot are the minority.
                    The argument was about users liking Unity or being driven away from Ubuntu because of it.
                    This has nothing to do with how many installs of Unity are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The argument was about users liking Unity or being driven away from Ubuntu because of it.
                      This has nothing to do with how many installs of Unity are out there.
                      A-Singh linked polls from omgubuntu.co.uk where thousands voted and Unity got most votes for most favorite desktop environment, and no it is not biased because that site is read by users of *buntu flavors as well as people who dont even use Ubuntu. And look around, just about every institution or business that uses Ubuntu uses Unity. It is a well liked desktop, sure some didnt like it and moved on to other *buntu flavors or other distributions, but not as many as some would like others to believe. I didnt like Unity at all when it was introduced, but over time I liked it more and more until it became my default desktop environment and I will be extremely disappointed if Unity disappears forever, I trust in the community to at least make a Ubuntu flavor with Unity 7 as desktop environment, however I expect Canonical to keep Unity in the repositories so we that like it can install it easily.
                      Last edited by Cerberus; 06 April 2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X