Some In The Ubuntu Community Want To Fork, Maintain Unity 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Statements like this only serve to illustrate the level of your ignorance. If you checked your facts you would see that Unity 7 was widely used and fairly popular among many users.
    Originally posted by Dreakon View Post

If you checked your facts you would see that Canonical is dropping Unity because it wasn't popular and drove many of it's users to different desktop environments or even other distributions entirely.
    Well, if we're in fact checking mode, feel free to post links proving either of those claims.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
      Unity always sucked and did nothing better than Gnome. This fork will die as well, same will projects like MATE in the end. Development should be focused on the future and not cater to the needs of a special few individuals who is scared of change.
      Unity was far better and far more usable than Gnome. It did everything better! Icons on desktop, ability to minimize windows, better performance, more options. Gnome is unusable nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Define 'many'.

Only Ubuntu and Windows can run Unity. A lot of Ubuntu users use KDE/Gnome, so compared to en mass Linux population- we have SMALL amount of people using it.

Unity is exactly reason I dont use Ubuntu anymore and never suggest it to anyone.
        It did harm to Ubuntu.
        Ubuntu (with Unity) is used in many places like schools and restaurants. If they switch to gnome nobody sane will use it. Unity and Cinnamon probably have far more users than plain gnome 3.

Comment

Port Unity 8 to Wayland and they'll be in business. Mir is what most dislike because it fragments a major Linux software stack component. Another option is to port Unity 7 to Wayland too. Nothing wrong with GNOME and that has been my desktop of choice when using Linux but Unity has it's fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreakon View Post

If you checked your facts you would see that Canonical is dropping Unity because it wasn't popular and drove many of it's users to different desktop environments or even other distributions entirely.
            It sounds like a bullshit, because moving from Unity to Gnome 3 will be disastrous.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

It sounds like a bullshit, because moving from Unity to Gnome 3 will be disastrous.
              If they dont modify Gnome to be more Unity-like I agree, the UI paradigm of Gnome 3 is too different and many users will not like it, I am among them and if they ship unmodified Gnome I am moving to Kubuntu or Ubuntu MATE.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                I am very upset with this Shuttleworth's decision. For me it is the end for my interest on Linux Desktop. I believe that any other DE is simply 10 years back and there is no vision generally for anything more than the 1,5% world desktop market share.

Ubuntu had that vision and thats why it became my primary desktop all those years. I prefer to abandon Ubuntu than use it with Gnome.

On the other hand if I were Shuttleworth I would have abandon this project a lot sooner just to see what is like when you lose something you take for granted.

For me today Linux Desktop DIED.-
                Wow, Unity is just a program launcher like every other DE. It is replaceable - don't be so dramatic!

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  I am very upset with this Shuttleworth's decision. For me it is the end for my interest on Linux Desktop. I believe that any other DE is simply 10 years back and there is no vision generally for anything more than the 1,5% world desktop market share.

Ubuntu had that vision and thats why it became my primary desktop all those years. I prefer to abandon Ubuntu than use it with Gnome.

On the other hand if I were Shuttleworth I would have abandon this project a lot sooner just to see what is like when you lose something you take for granted.

For me today Linux Desktop DIED.-
                  Ubuntu's vision was wrong IMO.
                  The same way you can't make a vehicle that can be good on water, air and land, you can't make a DE that's good on a Desktop/Laptop and on a Tablet/Phone...
                  IMHO the way thigns should be is this:
                  . Dedicated DE for the device you're using. I don't use my fingers on my desktop/laptop and i also don't use a mouse on my phone/tablet...
                  . The APPs should run of both DEs, being the same base/platform.
                  . Furthermore it should be a common account that unifies all your data whatever is the device/DE your using.
                  . If the tech will allow it we should have a single device (like the new Samsung S8 is trying) that changes DE according to the display size/characteristics it has avaliable.
                  . This the correct way i envision a unification of the platforms.

Canonical just approached the problem the wrong way, like M$ and Gnome did...
                  And whoever follows donw that path is destined to fail.

Just my 2 bucks...

Comment

GNOME is running so bad on low end machines. Unity 7 is running okay and Unity 8 is running awesome / 60fps whole the time, no stutter, no anything. I wonder if it is because Mir is superior or just because Unity8 is better than GNOME ?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                      . Dedicated DE for the device you're using. I don't use my fingers on my desktop/laptop and i also don't use a mouse on my phone/tablet...
                      . The APPs should run of both DEs, being the same base/platform.
                      . Furthermore it should be a common account that unifies all your data whatever is the device/DE your using.
                      . If the tech will allow it we should have a single device (like the new Samsung S8 is trying) that changes DE according to the display size/characteristics it has avaliable.
                      . This the correct way i envision a unification of the platforms.
                      This is exactly how KDE's plasma works.

Comment

Working...
                      X